Fitting new HT leads to old coils - can it be done?

DonegalDave

Cadet
More modern coils come with the HT lead seperate and it push fits or screws in. My two old coils seem in good shape but the HT leads are old and hard. They also appear to be moulded into the coil.

They are from a Chrysler 9.9 from 1969. I believe the same coils were used on several HP models up to 20 HP.
The part number was FK12369 but I have been informed the new version is 185-2370 - with seperate lead.

I dont want to have to buy new ones if I dont have to, so can it be done or has it been done and if so, what to watch for?

Thanks again in advance.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I use shrink tube and liquid tape to cover the old and cracking lines
​Can be used on plug wires too.

DonegalDave

Cadet
Well, I decided nothing ventured nothing gained and carefully removed the coil wire from the coil. I was expecting to find a spike that the HT lead fitted over.

No such luck. I now have a coil with no wire coming out of it.

So, nothing gained! I am now looking into the possibility of putting a more modern stator type ignition with external coils on. I have one, the flywheels are the same external dimensions but I dont know if the taper fits.

I have started another thread to see if anyone has tried it. I have lots on and the boat is out of the water till spring but I will pull it all apart and see if it can be done at some stage!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Just try a coil, any coil from a marine app.
​Auto coils come with a resistor or without a resistor.
​Not sure if you need one in the coil you have.
Post a pic of the coil you have taken apart.
​It might just be a Johnson or Evinrude??