78 115 how you increase IDLE RPMs? 200Rpms Cover on 400 RPMS cover off

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi I testing my engine last year I set the WOT to do the timing and it seemed to run fine last year

now I just finally got to run it wanting to put it in water tomorrow... and the RPMS with the cover off is 400rpms and when I put the cover on it idles 200rpms and then just shuts off after a bit... how can I increase the Idle... on the side I tried adjusting the camber shaft I guess and that didn't help so I reset it back to what I had..

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
also if I turn the stop screw for the idle.. all the way in I can get 600 rpms that's it so something must be wrong ill upload a video

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok ill re watch this I did the timing from this video last year... I uploading to youtube my video maybe you can look after but I rewatching this again

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok so maybe I didn't set it right last year.. not sure

here is where its not running at the 800RPMS just up to 600rpms with the Set screw all the way in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWyMAdmLxBs&feature=youtu.be

here is the WOT setting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MORZUSQjd3o&feature=youtu.be

so maybe I set it wrong I did the static timing from the one guys video posted off this site.. and so it ran but I never had it in the water.. but noticed now it idles like 200 rpms when I had cover on so I seen it wasn't right.. I should have tried last year

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If the idle drops when the cover is installed????
​That sounds like an exhaust leak under the cowl.
The usual place it leaks is the rubber bellows in the mid section under the powerhead.
Maybe the spacer plate where the block meets the mid section.

If my motor idles at 400 it would stall.200 for sure it's dying.
The tach make sure it's reading right or get a Tiny Tach $20 e-bay and make sure of the readings
Sounds like the timing needs to be re-done?

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know I followed this videos instructions for timing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlB2aIJRrg

but ill re look at it this morning..
and the spacer which part is that? I know I had the engine rebuilt new spagitty seal and sealant.. so hoping it not case problem and I don't see smoke from engine but hard to say from exhaust.... is the rubber boot inside hard to replace.. I know I shop vaced out mouse house that got inside there . so maybe they ate the rubber too

but ill re check so it should be idlying 800 in neutral right?

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
and the T on the Distributor mine lines up at the 32.1 mark guess it shows on the decal not the TDC PMC mark.. if its wrong maybe you can tell me where it should sit I uploading a video now

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
my mistake I forgot I had to line up the timing mark then you adjust the distrubitor.. I uploading another video you guys can tell me if its done right.. I have the TDC PMC marking on the tab and then had the distrubitor T in the gear uploading now

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
I checked boot defently boot is split seeing if I can get a boot from the wreckers.. I deal with
I was also watching they talk about 800 rpms in forward low idle.. so that doesn't mean in neutral... is then maybe 400rpms ok in Neutral?

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
I uploading couple videos but I think my tach is off... as when I tried to increase RPMS as I thought 400rpms etc.. right you cant put it gear she grinds..

on the back of the Faire Tach.. you have numbers to set the Dial to.. Which Number do you set it for this engine? its a 1159b8b 4 cylinder

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
I looked up Faire just not sure which is right
Setting 3- 12 Pole it idles 400 rpms
Setting 4 - 20 Pole it idles at 1400 Rpms
and when I drop into gear when setting it Pos 4.. she drops to 1000 rpms

would that be this is the proper one 20pole? and 1400rpms idling

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
here is the video of my static WOT timing close enough I can get it to turn off using a .008 feeler gauge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOx1gPSGFD0&feature=youtu.be

and here is video I have it running its like running 4-600rpms but I think that it was just the tach wrong? as when I tried to put in gear it wouldn't let me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSk3OCVEcyY&feature=youtu.be

I don't have that video but when I set it to 20 pole setting it shows it at 1400 rpms when I turned it down the idle screw is that better? and when I shove in gear it was 1000 rpms... if its still wrong can you guys let me know what setting to set the TACH at etc

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
yes that sound better - it might be a tad high, but take the boat out into the water and run it for a minute or 2, then take the cover off and restart it and put it into gear - set the idle speed in gear to about 750-800

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
In N it should be about 11-1200. ​
Get a timing light with a tach in it.
Then compare it with your readings.

Nordin

Commander
It sounds like the tach should be set at setting 4.
Last wideo looks and sounds like it is reving more then 500rpm as the tach is showing.

I have looked at your wideos and it looks like you have almost all settings right.
BUT pull off the airintake at the carbs and look if the butterflies are horisontral at WOT. If not adjust with the throttle rod.

There is a post at top of forum showing how to Link and sink by Frank A.

Do not adjust the timingbelt to tight it can bind the shifting from forward to neutral etc.

If you use a 008 feelergauge and point at the middle of the belt with the tip it should bend when the belt deflects about 1/4 in.

One more thing. Put the locknut for the idlescrew behind the threaded tab at timingtower. This will allow you to use the whole length of the screw to adjust the idle.

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok ill recheck it all don't have a timing light but ill try to get one and you mark the TDC PWM part with marker right and shine light at it?
and i haven't changed nothing just added a new used exhaust idle boot from wreckers on and put lower unit on.. tried starting it.. it wasn't showing 1400 rpms anymore now back down to 400 but in the 20 pole position so what cause that as it wasn't running so high didn't wanna stay running much increased the idle set

changed the plugs too ill take a video

and you guys can tell me i appreciate all the help..

ya id like to put in water instead of box since it clear out any carbon or flooding issues and how do you know you set the carbs right that one is not too lean i have done 1 1/4 full turns i think for both of them

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok so here is video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M_a0x0fQxc

i tried the nylon nut on other side of idle screw but even at smooth flush nut and screw it was idling too fast i figured.. maybe not was like 1000 rpms so i re put it on the other side... and running at 600 rpms seems too fast least for shifting into gear i have that on video you can hear it... the TACH is set on 4 so for 20 pole.. and i show the flexing with the 008 feeler gauge you can see if that's enough slack.. and that the carbs are open and i showed i set both to 1 1/4 turns
let me know i appreciate the help and i have new spark plugs in

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
and since you said 1100-1200 in Neutral ill try to reve it higher just didn't seem right when popping into gear