Force 9.9hp no spark...

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
First time Force owner here... got a 9.9hp Force by Mercury 0E090563 not sure the year, has no spark. The guy I got it from said it ran last fall, put it away, and this spring it wouldn't start. What part should I first be looking at replacing?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You have the kill lanyard?
​Test the kill switch and then go to outboardignitiondotcom
They have test procedures for your motor.

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, got spark. It is the stop/kill switch. Got her to run but no water spraying out. removed thermostat and its totally corroded. never seen a thermostat located on the back of the midsection like this before. any advise on how to make sure the cooling system is working properly?

Derrick Fronckowiak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You need to make sure your impellor isn't ate up. Lower unit needs to come off. Pretty easy stuff to do really, and you need to see it for yourself (don't take someone's word that it's good) when you buy a motor used.. It's been said by many that you should change your impellor once a season (I think that's if you use your motor a lot for a full season). But at the very least drop your lower unit and inspect your impellor, that's the heart of your cooling system. They got impellor kits that come with gaskets, O-rings, new impellor. Easy change out. You can find the part number for the kit and then look on Amazon (using that part number) and you might be able to get it for reasonably cheap.

Derrick Fronckowiak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also,since you just bought this motor, open up your drain plug on your lower unit and see what the gear oil looks like. If it's sort of thick, gooey and milky looking (not very translucent at all) it means you got water that leaked into the lower end. Marine gear oil is made to emulsify with water, that way it can still continue to lubricate and will prevent your lower end from eating up the gears or seizing. If you find a leak they also make kits to replace the seals on your lower end. It's a bit more complicated than doing and impellor change, but it's NOT rocket science either. Just pay attention to the way the old seals are positioned when you are taking it apart. Go to marineengine.com, punch in your model number or serial number of your engine and they will display an exploded diagram of your engine (or lower end, or whatever you select on the menu) that will help with disassembly, reassembly and part number identification.. Do you have a maintenance manual for your engine?

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
No l don't have a manual. Where can I find out what model year it is?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Yours is a 95.

​The top few posts cover some of the repairs and maint.
They sell manuals but the factory one is the best.

The library has repair books that cover almost everything.
Or e-bay might have the one you need.
They sell books on this site.

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for all the help and advice, got her running and she pumps water out good now but she won't stay running unless I press the prime button. does that sound like a fuel pump problem?

fishrdan

Admiral
Agree with Jerry.

I'd rebuilt the fuel pump, it's 20 years old (as far as we/you know) and those old pump's were not ethanol resistant.

To check the fuel line quick disconnect, pump up the primer bulb and hold pressure on the bulb, while wiggling around the fuel hose and connector. Closely inspect for drips and leaking fuel, and if it's leaking, replace the quick disconnect fitting.

$20 in parts should fix both of those problems. Also check for a good strong spark on both of the plug wires, these small Force/Merc outboards are known to have ignitions that fail, BIM coils go bad.

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
thanks again for the info! I would like to clean the carb, I like to troll slow when fishing, whats the trick to get at the nuts to remove the carb? the lower cowl blocks the wrench I need to use...