96 force 120 hot start

Chrisried

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 96 force 120 that runs and starts well for the most part, but even when hot I have to set the throttle to 2/3 to get it to start then bring it back slowly or it will die. I also have the get on throttle quick at times and it will also die when coming off wot too quickly. I have run Sea foam in the gas and also deep creeped it several times but still have issues. I just ordered new plugs and hope to test it out this weekend. Is there anything else I should be looking at? It can get a bit hairy on the Missouri river when the boat takestrel a bit to get fired back up.

Jiggz

Captain
Do a compression test and if satisfactory, do a cylinder drop test (pulling spark plug wires one at a time) and see which cylinder is not firing. If all are firing then it could just be a low idle setting or the idle fuel air mixture screw is not set accordingly.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What if anything has been done to the motor??

Do as Jiggz suggested, then.
Set the idle at 750-800(I go closer to 800)
1100-1200 in N (again closer to 1200)
Test the overheat system.
Is there a thermostat in the system(some disappear).
Replace the impeller(just in case)

Chrisried

Seaman Apprentice
Nothing has been done to motor as far as I am aware. Just got the boat this year. Only problem with setting idle speed is the tach doesn't work.

Chrisried

Seaman Apprentice
Didn't buy a tach yet but did do a compression test im at 150 on all four cylinders. I did bump the idle speed up a bit and it did help a lot. Now I need to adjust the throttle Cable but not sure where to adjust it. I have quicksilver 3000 classic controls.