Motor Won't Stop, Force 15hp, '85

Hello, this is my first time posting here. I'm just starting out with my first Jon boat and have found these forums to be very helpful so far! I appreciate any help with this riddle and apologize for the long read, but I want to make sure I don't leave anything important out. I've also posted this question in the electrical section..

I recently purchased a 15hp Force that starts and runs great. When I looked at it first, the seller said he's had a hard time killing it with the kill button at the end of the tiller handle, so he said he usually pulls the emergency kill to stop it. When he ran it for me, it wouldn't kill from either the button or the emergency. Wouldnt even choke out so we eventually pulled the spark plugs. I asked a mechanic I had taken another outboard to before what he thought about the problem and he said it's an easy, inexpensive fix. I purchased the motor and took it to the mechanic. I couldn't get through to them for the next two weeks so I drove over to the shop. They said they'd have it that afternoon and later called to say there was no way to shut it off and I need a new switch box that will cost over $200, labor not included. I didnt have the cash and was pretty bummed out. I took it from the shop without much plan.

Long story short, I decided today to fool with the wiring coming from the two kill buttons, checking them all, etc. I hadn't done this before because I trusted the mechanics and have been working long days. I started the motor, unplugged an re plugged some of the wiring and it grounded and cut off. I got it to shut off many times after, but a few times I couldn't kill it. It sounded like it would run at 1/2 lowest throttle (maybe running on 1 cylinder only?) When it wouldnt stop i tested pulling the emergency kill (it would then make 1/2 lowest throttle sound) then I would pull the kill wire assembly apart. One connection in the assembly, when pulled apart, would make the engine run at lowest speed throttle again (getting more gas or no longer grounding the 2nd cylinder?) Any ideas? Are these mechanics taking advantage of my lack of knowledge or do I just need to replace the kill wiring? Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Contact outboardignitiondotcom tell them what's happening and they should be able to help.
​I have a friend In Sebastian, Fl. He goes by the name Riverrunner. That you John?