HELP Water in Crank

jfilm6

Cadet
I just rebuilt my 1996 Force 90 hp 2 stroke completely. Block was professionally checked for leaks and prepped for rebuild. After completed having fuel issue with reed plate gasket. After running a few times to diagnose in the lake I pulled carbs and reed plate assymbly to find this (see photo). Water on lower crankshaft in cylinder 3. Could this be condesation? Or could it be water coming from the prop being tilted up through the exhaust after leaving the lake? No water on any other cylinder, any where else and pours out of the prop when it's dropped. I and everyone else is stumped.

Attachments

• photo248923.jpg
    photo248923.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The rust looks like it's going in from the front??
Check the fuel for water?

The motor is self draining and tilting up shouldn't have any affect on the water there.
In fact there isn't any water flowing in that area.

Do compression test.
You remove the exhaust chest when you rebuilt?
Yes, then remove and see if the gaskets are ok.
Any water on the pistons or plugs?
Might it have rusted before you ran it?

Why did you take the reeds out?

Jiggz

Captain
It wouldn't be surprising if there is also water in the cylinder. Check the spark plug on #3 if it is clean as a whistle then it indicates "steaming" caused by small water leak. Which as Jerry mentioned is likely coming off the exhaust.

jfilm6

Cadet
No water in fuel. Have new water separator. How would I check to make sure?

Yes changed exhaust plate and gasket. Will check plug. Compression was 130, 140, 140 on Sat before I noticed water yesterday. Remove reed plate because was not getting enough fuel to stay running (idle fine but would not stay running once I gear and throttled) and had mechanic show me where it was leaking in the reed assymbly gasket on #3.

SO should I pulled the exhaust plate and check the gasket? Could it be in the head gasket? Should I pull and replace both?

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain
Instead remove the head and do an open and inspect. if there is rust in the crankshaft, I'm quite sure there is at least a trace of rust in the cylinder and maybe to the source of the water, i.e. exhaust plate.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The rust might have been old rust from before re-start????

The (​Removed reed plate because of not enough fuel to stay running) sounds ODD??
Did the mechanic do that?
The main jet and float controls that not the reeds.
The reeds allow air/fuel in and stop it from going back out.

Re-check the floats and clean the jets(all carbs).
Then check the static timing.
Set the idle rpm's 750-800 in gear motor warm.

Who did the rebuild?

jfilm6

Cadet
I did the rebuild (learning experience) have Mercury Force issued shop manual. I am going to check exhaust. The reason reed plate removed was a gasket was leaking around #3 reed where is presses against crank case. Surface rust was not on the crank before this rebuild it was checked and cleaned by a marine machine shop.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
How long did it set between the rebuild and the startup?
​Rust can form on cast(crank) in a very short time.

Can you see rust on the bearings?

If you don't have water on the pistons, plugs ?
Then I'd say the exhaust chest is ok.
You use sealer on the exhaust gaskets?
No. It should come apart easy and not be hard to check.