75hp 1996 Grinding into Forward

Lawns570

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 96 75hp force. 3cylinder with a single carb. When I put it into forward it is grinding really hard, and sometimes just grinds and won't go in. I am not sure if it's something in the lower unit or simply some sort of adjustment to a cable. It goes into reverse flawlessly, but forward not so much.
What do I do next?
Where is the adjustment for the cable?

Jiggz

Captain
There should be an adjustment on the top of the gear rod. On older models, this is located just below the carb. The best way to find this is to follow the mechanical linkage of the cable shifter all the way where it goes into the motor leg.

Lawns570

Seaman Apprentice
Yup, I see that. I see there is an adjustment on the threaded rod, but would I move it back or forward(towards from of the boat)

Jiggz

Captain
When the rod goes down it shifts into forward. So you want to extend it down, You will have to experiment to make sure you do not over extend as this will affect the reverse.

You can do this while on muffs and doesn't have to be in the water. Just make sure you stay clear off the prop. If for some reasons, you can not make it engage in forward and just continues to grind, there is a good possibility the clutch dogs maybe worn out.

Always make sure when you shift into and out of gear you do it in a snappy fashion. Do not slide or ease it in as this will cause grinding and wear out the clutch dogs prematurely.

Last edited:

Lawns570

Seaman Apprentice
So do I adjust the rod that comes up out of the bottom that is vertical? or the rod that is horizontal that runs right under the carb?

Lawns570

Seaman Apprentice
I know there is a rod that comes up from the lower unit that I disconnect to drop the lower unit? Is that the one I adjust, or the rod assembly under the carb?

Jiggz

Captain
Either the shift rod (upper or lower) can be adjusted. Just make sure you tightened the locknut. Whichever is easier for you. But personally, I will go with the upper shift rod (under the carb) to make the adjustment.