1989 Force 85 motor on Maxum won' t

JerrySzul

Cadet
Force gas line from motor to tank replaced now won't even spark when try to start motor. any ideas? Ran for 15-30 seconds and would kill prior to replacing gas line.

Derrick Fronckowiak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check simple stuff first, but please be more descriptive with your problem. So if I am reading you right, before you changed the fuel line it would run for a short time and then die and it's still doing the same now (after you've changed the fuel line)? You said no spark. Do you mean no combustion or you put a timing light or in-line plug tester on each of the plugs and observed no spark? If you've verified that you are getting a spark to each plug, is fuel feeding to the engine unrestricted. Is the fuel clean? Do you have a fuel filter, if so is the filter element clean? Is the fuel pump diaphragm intact? Have you messed with/rebuilt the carbs recently (float height adjustment off?). Did you remove/disconnect any wiring/harnesses in order to make room to change the fuel line (may not have reconnected wiring)? Just a few things to think about. Give some more details if you can.

JerrySzul

Cadet
Thanks for responding. I am grounding plugs and checking spark. Will let you know what that shows me...doesn't look good so far. Motor has not run at all since fuel line replaced. Did not move wires or disconnect anything to do this. Was just line from fitting outside motor case to the tank. Will get back to you with more info.shortly. Thanks again for responding. Hope you can help.

JerrySzul

Cadet
So now I have no spark, dry plugs ...as if no fuel is getting to the cylinders and now the starting bend ex is not disengaging from the fly wheel. Any help is welcome.

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
did you replace the sqeezeeeee and did you put it in backwards? I did that once opps

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The replacing the fuel line and no spark has nothing to do with the other.

Check the flywheel key. Make sure it's not sheared.
Check the magnet in the flywheel. Is it still attached to the inside of the flywheel?

The Bendix not dropping isn't a big deal.
The battery could be low? Load test and make sure it's HOT!!!
Make sure the kill switch is hooked up.

Do a compression test. Post the results.
Pull all the plugs and do the test.

The first 3 posts in this Force forum have hints and procedures, read them and maybe something will help?

JerrySzul

Cadet
Thanks for the responses. I have not had a chance to look into any of your suggestions yet but did read through other posts. As jerryjerry05 suggested. Will check flywheel as suggested and fuel pump diaphragm which has never been replaced. I'll let you know how it goes.

JerrySzul

Cadet
Can you give details on checking the fly wheel? It appears to be fine but I may be missing something. If I want to check the diaphragm, I will need to remove fuel pump but do I need to remove this board that somewhat covers one screw of fuel pump? Sorry not sure what the correct name for this board with 3 blue boxes attached to spark plug wires and 2 rectangular blue boxes. Or will fuel pump just below the board come off and reinstall without removing this panel?It looks like it might but just wondering if someone would know.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Read the first few posts of this forum.
​It covers a lot of tips.

The flywheel: under the flywheel is a magnet.
It runs all the way around the inside of the flywheel.
The glue releases and the magnet sticks to the stator.
It can be re-glued.

The flywheel key: there are 2 sets of marks on the flywheel.

A single hash mark then a series of 3 hash marks.
The single is TDC.
Above the top carb is a timing mark.
Align the single mark with the timing mark.
Remove the top plug, ir should be all the way out and visible .
This means the key is in place and ok.
If the piston isn't all the way out then pull the flywheel and check the key.

JerrySzul

Cadet
Got my Force running! Ends up that lanyard safety switch is bad so this was the reason we got no spark after replacing entire gas line. Discovered that by chance thankfully before started taking anything apart. Thanks for all the information shared on this forum.I'm sure we will be back again at some point but for now the Force is with us.

JerrySzul

Cadet
I've been able able to start motor.....some times. Then it wont start again and I think it is cause the bendix wont stay engaged long enough to start. can this be a low battery? It seems to engage well enough. Also can I jump the kill switch to be sure that it's not faulty? And how do you load test the battery?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Habor Freight Tools. E-bay
Battery load tester. $25
Get a hygrometer too.
It tests the indivigual cells.