1978 chrysler running issues

93_cherokee

Cadet
I have a I believe 1978 Chrysler skier 75 HP 2stroke outboard. Recently it started acting up. It was hard to start, when it did start it would idle but as soon as I went past half throttle it died. It left me stranded in the reeds at a lake. Got it home and cleaned all 3 carbs real good, replaced every fuel line on it, spark plugs, wires, fresh fuel and 50:1 mix, new bulb on the fuel line.... tested it at home and it ran great. Got it to the lake and it was hard to start. Finally started and it ran better than ever. Wot all the way across the lake. About a mile into it, it bogged and died. Now it will only run if I prime the carbs with fresh fuel. I squeeze the bulb with the line off the engine and fuel gets through just fine, all the way going into the engine. I'm stumped. Anyone have any suggestions? It's getting spark and plenty of air

Nordin

Commander
Check the fuel delivery from inlet to pump, filterscreen in the oump, the diaphragm (change it, not expensive), the checkvalves and inlet needle in the carbs.
Put a cheap inline fuelfilter after the fuelpump before the carbs. Run the engine at WOT at check the fuel delivery through the inline filter.

It should be 1/2 to 3/4 filled all time. If not it is a fuel delivery issue.

93_cherokee

Cadet
I pulled the screen and it wasn't dirty at all. I didn't replace anything in the carbs but I pulled all three of them completely apart and cleaned everything with carb cleaner making sure to get all the jets. My dad bought a new tank because he suspects the old tank and tank screen but I do not think that's the issue because it gets plenty of fuel when I squeeze the bulb. I gave up on it so it's been sitting since last summer. I will check those things this week though. Thank you

93_cherokee

Cadet
Changed the tank, line to the screen and bulb today. Problem solved. Thank you. Now I need to find something to fix my distributor linkagethe plastic piece holding it still broke. Not sure how to find a replacement

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Post a pic of the broken part.
boatsdotnet should have your part, ​look up your motor by year and look at the powerhead diagram.
Valley Sales in Prudenville,Mi. might have it too.
Franz Marine.

93_cherokee

Cadet
I think it's called distributor linkage. Its the plastic threaded piece that holds the distributor still. It screws to the distributor and has a screw that goes to another plastic piece that attaches to a rod on the motor. I will be away from my boat for a couple weeks so I can't get a pic. I can't find the part anywhere though. Thanks

93_cherokee

Cadet
Thank you. It looks like just a small female heim joint. Would that work if I get the proper parts?

93_cherokee

Cadet
Well I took my boat out this past weekend. Same issue. Started like a dream, ran great 3/4 of the way around the lake. As soon as I was nearing the no wake zone, the boat bogged and died. I pulled it back in neutral and same issue. Hard to start, got it started and couldn't give it more than idle speed. I was able to limp it back to my Jeep in low but if I gave it more throttle, it would die. I squeezed the bulb and it had plenty of fuel. I'm at a stand still and it will sit until I can get it fixed. Here is a pic of it on my way back from the lake

Attachments

• IMG_20160723_193706.jpg
    IMG_20160723_193706.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like there is a restriction in the fuel system.
Maybe overheating??
You have a built in tank?
The vent line gets wasps building nests in them cutting off the air.
The inline connectors go bad and suck air.
Unless you have the 6 gal tanks they aren't needed.
Remove or replace.
DON'T go cheap. Use the dealer ones.
F197787-3 is the part# for the connector.
Test the overheat buzzer: key on, ground the temp sender on the head.
It should make the buzzer sound off.
Not working? You can replace with any 12v horn.

93_cherokee

Cadet
The overheat buzzer works. It came on when I was testing the boat in my driveway. As for the fuel lines, every one of them is new. I bought a new 6 gallon tank and hose kit before I took it out. Fresh fuel, fresh 50:1 mix, and I only does it when the motor is warmed up. If it's cold, it runs great and I can give it any throttle speed I want. As soon as it warms up, it bogs and dies

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like it's getting hot.
​You have a heat gun?

I have this, works good.
​E-bay 11$ Can't post link.