Force 125 lower unit help

Cooksey21

Recruit
Hey everyone. So I have a 1989 force 125 and I was gonna change the lower unit oil (first time I've ever done this) and I think I have screwed up. There is a bolt/pin in the right side of the foot that I assumed was the drain. Well I took it out and it drained but when I went to put it back in there is some sort of metal bracket that has covered the hole internally and the pin/bolt won't go back in. After looking further I found the Allen head bolt on the very bottom that is probably the actual drain. How bad have I screwed up?? Help please!!!

Jiggz

Captain
Not to the point you have to buy a new one. Search the forum and you will come across some techniques on how to put it back on without dropping the LU. The worst thing is to drop the lower unit, remove the cover and re-install the shift pin.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Take an ice pick and try to line up the hole.
​If that doesn't work then the work starts.

Use the search function and you'll find a bunch of posts on this subject.

Oh yea WELCOME!!
Lot's of good help on this site.

92cobra

Seaman Apprentice
Welcome...I unfortunately made the same mistake not long ago and was in your shoes.I unfortunately had to drop the lower unit.howeverror DON'T MOVE THE THROTTLE CONTROL/GEAR SELECTOR.as stated you may get lucky and line it back up with a ice pick or pick set from harbor freight
Good luck!