Finally got my 70 hp out on unrestricted water today

brokenwrist

Seaman
Today I was finally able to get my boat out on a lake that doesn't have a restricted speed limit. Learned a couple things about my skier 700, 1. It likes gas, almost as much as a big block engine. 2. It will get up and move, according to the gps speedometer on my phone, I hit a max of 32 mph and 3000 rpm at wot. I still have a little bit of tuning to do, but I have the mixture screws almost perfect, and they're set 1 1/4 turns out, There's almost 0 lag in a hole shot. I do however believe that the reeds are probable bad, because I did notice fuel spray on the front of the carbs. It is enough that there is a small trail leading down the bowls. I was really starting to cuss this engine and was seriously considering selling it. I think, I might just hang onto it, for a little bit, even though it's way to much engine or prop for trolling, even just idling in gear

Jiggz

Captain
3000 RPM at WOT is a little low. Of course, this all depends on the size of the prop and how the boat rides the water (trim).

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Get a "Tiny Tach" it will give you the correct rpm's and then work on getting a different prop.

​I have twin 88/85's with 17p props.
I wanted MORE!!! speed, performance etc.

I changed to a 19p and got more, 2-3 mph more and used about 20% more fuel :(

Do a compression test and then check the reeds.

Maybe include the boats description cause a 70 on a barge will act way different on a small basser.
Include a signature on your posts and put in the info on boat.

brokenwrist

Seaman
compression test tested 160 psi on all 3 cylinders. its the factory original skier 700 on my 79 chrysler striper. Still has the factory prop. It gets up on plain and rides dead level. JerryJerry, I had read somewhere once that the reeds could be adjusted. Is this true, or should save my pennies and get a new set for it?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No adjustment on reeds.
​They can have a small gap(.010 or something like that) but shouldn't allow any spray from the front.
Remove the carbs and check the reeds.
You should be able to see them from the front.

Gotta make sure the tach is right. 3000 and 32 for a 70 isn't right.
32for 70 15ft is,
Make sure the rpms are correct???