96 Bayliner w/ 96 120 Force

Iesparza

Recruit
Hi yall, Im a new boat owner. Was just given a 96 Bayliner that has a 120 Force outboard. Have taken it out a handfull of times with nlonly an idke issue. Recently I noticed gear oil coming out of the around the vent bolt, the crease between the lower unit and upper. I checked the drain plug and found white milky oil. Research is telling me possible break in a seal causing water to mix in the oil. Called and was quoted 400$ to fix.
Was wondering if its possible to take the lower unit apart my self and fix the issue? If so is there any kits yall recommend or pointers in handling the project?

TIA

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
First remove the drive, drain the oil and do a pressure test.
Figure out where it's leaking.
Could be something as simple as a washer on a screw or as technical as a driveshaft seal??

Post the results.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to the forum. I did on a force long time ago. If i can do it so can you. Do you have two leaks ? Could the oil just be draining from the screw where ou noticed in and pooling lower? Does the screw have a washer or oring on it?

Jiggz

Captain
First things first. Drain the contaminated oil and replace with good oil. At the same time, do a visual check around the fill and vent screws. It could just be a loose screw or torn gasket. if you have a setup to do a pressure test do so. If not, then try running the boat in the water again for a couple of days and then check on the gear oil again. If it is contaminated again, then you have a leak somewhere. Doing a pressure test will localize where the leak is at which could save you a lot of work and money.