1987 Force 50 water pump driveshaft seal?

216robertg

Recruit
I am in the process of changing my impeller and the driveshaft seal under the water pump wear plate does not seem to fit. The new one is to big and sits on top. The model is 507y7c. The part I ordered is Mercury #26-f40307-2. I am stumped so if anyone could help me I would appreciate it thanks.

Nordin

Commander
The seal you need has part# 26-F40307-2. It is for the gearhousing under the pump body.
The one that sits in the pump body has part# 26-F349307, maybe you got this one instead?

216robertg

Recruit
I got it fixed. I should have left it alone but this is a new to me boat and motor and figured since I was changing impeller to change seals as well. When I removed the old seal only the rubber came out and left the metal ring, which is why the new would not fit. Once I got that out it fit just fine. Thank you guys for your response.

k_graz

Recruit
Hi, new to forum and also need help with replacing seals on force 50, 1989. The upper driveshaft seal (F349307), one in water pump housing is a lip seal. I'm assuming to install it, it would be lip down toward impeller and flat side up There happens to be a white washer/disk under the old one that the lip sat on. Does any know if this should be there or not? My second questions is the lower driveshaft seal (F40307-2) with garter spring. Do I install this with the garter spring down toward oil or up toward impeller. Thanks for any help:?

Nordin

Commander
Please start your own new thread. You will have more chances to answers from the members.

Okey, will try to answer to your question.

There should not be any white washer or disk under the seal. Maybe part from the old seal.

The upper driveshaft seal under the stainless steelplate in gearhousing. Lip facing up towards the impellerhousing/steelplate.
The seal in the impellerhousing lip should be facing up.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The "white" thing might e there to lift the seal up so it has a better mating surface??
​The old might have worn a groove in the shaft and stopped sealing.
Putting a spacer under the seal will let it ride on a new/ smooth spot.
Like Nordin suggested start your own thread.
Oh yea Welcome!!