1991 force 50hp

Alabamed

Cadet
I have had battery cables meltdown and the battery got so hot it melted a hole around the negative post. Some other small wires and relays on motor are melted, was wondering if anyone has had this problem and what might have caused this to happen. This all happened at half throttle while cruising on the lake.

Jiggz

Captain
A direct short either with the starter not disengaging or the starter solenoid weld shut. Or it could be a wire that rubbed off its insulation causing a direct short. An overcharging stator or rectifier is not capable of melting a battery cable in the sense the battery cable is way too large to melt before a smaller wire does. It's very hard to tell from the forum's point view without seeing any pics of the damage done.

Alabamed

Cadet
I had already checked out the possibilities that you have mentioned, and nothing that seems to stick out that could cause this meltdown. I've ordered some wiring harness and relays for tilt and trim, the only other things damaged besides the battery cables. Will replace and see if a dead short still exists, only way I know to trouble shoot whether this caused the problem or was just a result of the problem.