Fuel Mix

Bkok33

Seaman
So I saw the post about fuel and it seems like just stick with Regular fuel. Since that what the motors were designed to take. But what mix do you use. I have been doing 50/1. Which has been making a lot of smoke and has caused a set of spark plugs to foul up. Not sure if it's from the mix or the fact the motor sat for a while not running and changed the plugs out before running it. Also what do you think of running SeaFoam in your fuel?

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain
50:1 fuel mix is the manufacturer's recommendation along with regular octane fuel. Spark plug fouling can be attributed mainly to three things, too rich of an idle mixture, improper fuel oil mix and too cold of a plug. Heat range amongst spark plug makers differ vastly. NGK seems to have a more subtle standard in that the lower the heat range the "hotter" is the plug. Conversely, the higher the heat range (around 10 and above) the colder is the plug.

Using too "hot" of a plug, i.e. low heat range number can result in pre-ignition or even melting of the electrode. On the otherhand, if the plug is too "cold", it could result in fouling and electrical leakage causing a no spark.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
It sure helps if you tell us what we're working on???
You can add a description of the boat and motor in your signature???

The carb could be setup wrong?
​Reset the air screw at 1 and 1/4 turn out and adjust from there.

Running slow makes them smoke more.
Mine smoke a lot at the dock and it stops once I get up on plane and run for a while.

Variable Ratio Oiling is available on other outboards but not ours,
So the oil we get at idle is way more than we need.

Bkok33

Seaman
Thanks you guys, I am running a 92 Bayliner Capri with an early 80s Force 125. This is my first boat and I am still trying to get things fixed and figured out. I have a problem with some wiring and things but think I figured it out. But a friend of mine said I shouldn't be running regular fuel and should be running premium, since it will make the motor run better and isn't as hard on it. I wasn't sure, so I thought I would check with you guys.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
They were designed to run on regular gas.
​Premium isn't needed and as I understand it can do damage over time.
Seems it burns hotter longer and can eventually do damage.

Seafoam in my opinion is junk.
It might be good to add as a water absorber??
But the little bottles of Heet work real well.

If your boat sets for any length of time, you should keep the motor an hoses covered and the tank full.

Install a fuel/water separator and a small filter between the pump and carb. Fram G-2 G-3 or G-12 from any auto store.

Bkok33

Seaman
Thanks Jerry, I have installed a fuel filter already and will look into a fuel/water separator.

Bkok33

Seaman
Stop listening to that friend, he obviously knows little about the subject.

Lol I am starting to figure that out with taking with you guys. Thanks for all the help and knowledge. Learning a lot with having a boat. Thankful for this forum and all input I am receiving.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Oh yea, if you add anything to your fuel?
​The oil needs to be added to offset the stuff you add.

Bkok33

Seaman
Yeah I plan on running just the regular fuel and the oil at a 50 to 1 ratio.