Help, will low resistance on stator blow my CDI's

tcraft1

Cadet
85 HP 1985 (856X5L) Long story short. Lost Spark to 1 cylinder, swapped to open CDI port and regained spark. Ran for an hour and lost spark again. Put in new CDI unit. Got spark back. Pulled flywheel to look for anything obvious before I ran it and found the stator bolts loose, one of them into the fly wheel. tightened down bolts, cleaned up put everything back together, flywheel looks fine. Checked resistance on stator and it is about 350 ohms both sides. My feeling is that the loose bolt caused a short but I am afraid to run it with the low stator resistance. going on vaka tomorrow and can't get a stator until probably Tuesday unless I get lucky. Will the low resistance blow my CDI's?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
With low resistance, the stator output voltage to the CD modules will probably be lower than normal. Not sure if that will hurt the CD modules but I just guessing that it probably won't.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The screw backing out wouldn't cause a grounding problem.
​Use thread locker to put the screws back in.

The low reading could be the stator is an aftermarket.
​The OEM and CDI have different specs.

Yours might right on???

If it's running now?? Run it.

tcraft1

Cadet
The engine ran great all week, I did charge the battery overnight one night. I don't know if the stator output caused a no charge situation or not. Typically I will charge the battery before I take the boat out and its usually only for a day. Only once a year will the boat stay in the water for a week at a time. Thanks for the input, its guys like you two that make this forum useful. I have been a member for awhile and lurk but don't post much. Rest in peace Frank, you are missed.