help lower unit shift screw!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I'm showing 3 3/8" outside diameter.

Forgot to mention that there is a locking washer just behind the nut with some tabs that are folded down into a couple of the notches in the nut. You have to straighten them up to get them out of the way so you can loosen the nut.

Also there is a small dowel pin at the top of the carrier assy. inserted horizontally to keep the carrier assy. from spinning. Easy to loose if you're not careful.

Last edited:

Boat-ryder

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you! I saw the lock washer but non of my taps were bent into the nut for some reason. Theres actually a few bent the opposite way. Makes me wonder who was in there before I got it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Roscoes pic is the wrong item.
That's for the drive shaft retainer nut under the water pump.
E-bay : Bearing Carrier removal tool.Or: bearing carrier tool
Then look around.They sell them in different sizes.

Last edited:

92cobra

Seaman Apprentice
I just went through this about a month ago. This is how we did it some may not agree but it worked.to remove the nut we used a screwdriver and a hammer.be very careful because that retaining nut is a soft metal.to remove the bearing carrier we took a couple rags and a pair of vice grips and used a screwdriver and it popped right out.pull the shafts and the reverse gear should come with it. Then start digging.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
92cobra, That can be done but most rings have corrosion and really tough to get out.