88 tilt trim manual release popes out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomad98

Cadet
Installed a tilt trim on my Force 85 hp... tested it and it worked great, then I finished wiring it up I ran the tilt trim and the manual release popped out and the fluid drained!

? I have searched in the forum and it seems that there is a circle clip that holds the Manual release in... is that correct?

? Also what type of fluid do I put into the motor/pump?

Thanks for the help. I am new to power tilt/trim problems and the parts drawings I find don't have this part listed?

I posted a picture of the unit that I installed. The manual release is hidden behind the power cord in the red circle.

Attachments

• photo246476.jpg
    photo246476.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 2

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
30w oil.
​You sure you put the lines on right?
​boats dot net has parts diagrams that show the right way to hook them up.
​Use design 1 with bayonet connectors.

Yes there is a snap ring in there.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I don't think that is a manual release. That is one of the pump valves. There are several parts to the valve. Hopefully you recovered all the parts, and yes there is a circlip that holds it in place and prevents it from coming out. I've found replacement circlips at ACE hardware. Can't remember the size though, but they were stainless steel. You can measure the diameter of the hole to get an idea of what size you need.

Nomad98

Cadet
In the casing around the valve, it says "manual release" although after having it pop out, it doesn't seem like the best idea for a manual release! I have been to a couple of hardware stores and they seem to conspire against me with either too small or too big. I did find the clip but want to put in a new one since the old popped out.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
It is a manual release but I learned NEVER touch it.
​In your case your forced(no pun intended) to deal with it.
Finding it in a hdw.store is a big maybe.
Your best bet is find a hyd. pump or electric motor repair shop.
I might have a used one I'll send you.

Now that it's out you might have trouble keeping it in??
Make sure the seat isn't damaged.
Sometime the seat gets rounded or the edge bevels when it pops out??

Nomad98

Cadet
Did a search on the bay and found that a lot of the clamps were called automotive. I went to an autoparts and bought an assortment of c-clamps. I am sure that there is one that will fit. I also picked up some mesh that I will tape around the release plug so if it pops out while I am on the water, the mesh will catch the parts and the fluid will drain out. I dont mind looking for the plug in my garage, but on the water... It's as good as gone!

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
The circlips are made by a stamping process from a sheet of material which produces a rounded edge on one face of the circlip and a sharper edge on the other side. To maximize the chances of the circlip staying in place, make sure the sharper edge is facing outwards when you install it.

Nomad98

Cadet
Yup, I noticed the stamped rounded side and the flat side! Installed the clip this morning. The flat side is out and the clip was much harder to sqeeze into position. Got the clip in and it seems to be doing the job. My motor has gone up and down more times than you could count and no plug/clip failure (yet).

Nomad98

Cadet
GOOD:
OK... was on the lake for about 5 hours on Saturday and I have been running the tilt trim every time I walk past my boat in the garage! No plug failure! PHEW!

BAD:
I have noticed in my garage that the engine drops down over time if I leave it tilted up. It didn't seem to do that when I got the tilt/trim but it may have started after the plug failure. There are no fluid leaks that I can find, is there something I should look for or did I get a bum unit?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The top few posts in this forum are post from members on certain repairs
and tests that can be done to help figure out certain problems.
​There is a post (I believe from Jiggz) that covers T@T testing.

The units go bad just setting over time.
The drift down is either a bad hyd. pump or the tilt ram is leaking past the seals.
Good thing both are fixable.
One a lot harder than the other.
The pump is just a replace and go.

The ram is a lot tougher and needs the motor removed:(

Find the test and buy the plug and fitting for the test.
Most times it's the pump.

waynner007

Recruit
Thread revival time sorry, I've removed one circlip and still can't get the pump valve out seems wedged in. does it push from the back side out to rear of boat?

MODERATOR EDIT: Old Thread, Closed. Please Review the forum rule about posting to old threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.