1990 Force 90 Steering Stuck

Derrick Fronckowiak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently took my 1990 Force 90 (mounted on my 1990 Bayliner Capri) out for a shake down and I hadn't put it on the water since last August. The problem I have is when I put it in the water the steering was totally locked up. Doesn't matter if it's tilted all the way up, down or ant where in between. It won't even budge a little bit in either direction and feels more like it's mechanically locked than it is stiff or corroded. Is there something that can cause it to mechanically lock up like that?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Nothing mechanical unless the steering head broke internally.
​Yours is just stuck.
Usually the steering tube is dirty and needs cleaning and or heating??

Now that it's became a problem?? Don't make it worse by just trying to add grease.

The motors 26 and probably still has the original grease in there.

You need to add grease but only after heating the old grease until it melts.
If you try to add grease now you can push the grease fitting out, then reinstalling them can be fun.

Sometimes the steering cable can be locked and needs to be replaced.
Unhook the steering arm from the engine and see if the wheel turns.
If it turns? then the kingpin is frozen.
Not frozen? Then the steering cable is frozen.
I use a small propane torch first on the steering tube.
Have someone turn the wheel as someone heats the tube as someone pushes the motor.
Putting too much pressure on the wheel can damage it. Just turn and hold without too much pressure.(hope you understand)
Then try turning the wheel in the opposite direction as you heat the tube and push the motor.

Once the motor turns then get some rags and put under the steering cable end.
Spray with WD or PB or any lube spray.
Turn the motor back and forth, spraying all the time.
Your trying to flush the steering and the tube
Bad cases, take the steering cable out.
But a tube rush and hook to a drill and ream the tube.
Clean the end of the cable.
I use WD or any motor oil on my steering.
Grease get's in and hardens and your eventually stuck again.

Kingpin, heat the whole kingpin area, the top and bottom have bushings so don't over heat them.
Get it as hot as possible even heat the fitting.
Try to add a tiny bit of grease.
If it resists? More heat and try again.
Sometimes the fitting seizes and the spring and ball inside it need to be hit with an awl to make it move.

Use a good quality MARINE grease even a Lithium Marine grease.

Derrick Fronckowiak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
jerryjerry05, thanks.I'll give that a try. Hope it's just frozen as replacement of those steering cables is expen$ive. I got a feeling that I'm going to find a whole lot of crap (i.e. corrosion) inside that cable. We'll see. Thanks for the advise, will let ya'll know how it turns out.

Derrick Fronckowiak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Jerry Jerry,
I heated the end of the cable up with a torch, melted that old grease and got it moving. Then I shot a whole bunch of PB Blaster in the end and got it loosened up. I learned that the steering tube (which is aluminum) was totally corroded. The O-ring on the end was gone so water could (and did) get between the tube and the steering rod. Also contributing to the problem was the fact that there was no grease fitting (the old one was broke off who knows how long ago) so there was no means to lubricate the steering rod (the hole from the grease fitting was facing down at 6 o'clock so I had no clue that there was even a lubrication point. In short, I replaced the steering tube (thank you ebay) got a new grease fitting and o-ring, lubed everything up and everything works great. Thank you once again for your sage advice.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The o-ring just keeps the water out and the OLD, CRUSTY grease in.
​I stopped using grease on the steering a long time ago.
I use WD or 30w even spray White Lithium.

I had to go to Hydraulic steering because of the torque from the twins.
Broke down 25mi from OC.Md on a Tuna trip.
The hyd. is so strong it will bend and break the steering.
The oil used every time or almost every time helps with the steering
Gotta keep it grease especially in salt water.

Derrick Fronckowiak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hmmm....WD, 30W or white lithium...you might have something there. I like the idea of hydraulic steering, but dang it's expensive!! I may have to replace that rack and pinion steering I have someday as I'm getting a lot of slop (play) in the steering. In the mean time I will religiously lube the h@ll out of that steering...regularly to prevent this from ever happening again and try to make it last as long as I can. Thanks again.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Under the dash, the rack needs lube and maybe tightened.
​The bushings in the steering shaft can wear and cause slop.

Derrick Fronckowiak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If I find them worn can those bushings in the rack be replaced or is it one of those "got to replace the whole thing" type of deals?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I've never seen any replacement parts but EVERYTHING is out there somewhere!!
​Usually it's a better idea to replace the whole syatem and make sure the steering tube isn't scored.

Derrick Fronckowiak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Makes sense. Anywho, since I'm a cheap skate (too cheap/can't afford to buy a new rack and pinion right now) I think I'll pull that rack and pinion out and monkey with it some. It's a closed, contained system, right? No lubrication fitting or anything like that on it, right? Would I have to split open the rack to lube it up?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Yup no fitting on the rack for grease.
​Maybe put one in and make a video and show us how it was done??
I think the only way is to take it apart?

Derrick Fronckowiak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds about right. OK, I'm going in. Shouldn't be too hard if there is an out of the way place on the rack to drill in and tap for a grease fitting. Thanks again.

Derrick Fronckowiak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds about right. OK I'm going in. I should be able to find an out of the way place to drill and tap a hole for a grease fitting.