Need some parts help, 1996, 70 Force carb kit

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a 1996 Ser. #OE111XXX 70 HP Force and I need the carb kit Merc # 820576A1. Everywhere I look it is listed as unavailable, including here at iboats. Does anyone know a cross over number for a Sierra kit or where this one might be found?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Most times all you need is to clean the carb.
​I use Dawn and compressed air.
If you remove the bowl gasket and it stays in one piece?? just turn it upside down.
The needle and seat: the seat isn't removable and if you get a replacement needle, make sure it's the right size.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It's been cleaned before and the bowl gasket was leaking when I got it. I don't like the looks of the rubber tip on the needle valve so I want to replace that.

I got a gasket kit, and a needle from a local repair guy. I'm gonna try the Dawn (and I assume hot water) trick, I had been using vinegar and mean green and I'm not impressed, It leaves a scum on the aluminum that you have to use carb cleaner on anyway. I hate carb cleaner and only use it if I have to.

I use a pancake compressor with a regulator to get just a puff of air to blow out holes without blowing stuff all over the place. I have a designated carb cleaning station, with a pristene clean surface and plenty of light, both essential to carb cleaning in my opinion.

Thanks for the replies guys.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Dawn works great in cold and hot water.
No residue and no scum from the other cleaners.
The rubber tip deforms a bit after time.
But still functions.
Make sure it's the same size as the new.

I use Wallyworld carb spray on really tough crud and finish with Dawn.

Even WD or PB can gum up the works and cause the float/needle to stick.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Turns out the recirculation cover under the CDI had come loose. I didn't run the motor when I got it based on the owners description of the problems and his request as to what I should do to fix it,

As soon as I cranked it up after the carb rebuild I heard the rattle from the loose cover and shut it down. The cover had 2 cracked ears on it so I went to my friends shop and dug a cover and gasket out of his Force spare parts boxes. Thankfully he had them because they are both NLA (no longer available) from Mercury.He sold them to me for 1/2 the list price, very fair in my opinion.

I will charge the man for the carb rebuild he asked for,give him the cover parts at cost and do the cover repair for free because I should have looked more closely at this engine when it came in.

My friend who has a shop and does this for a living had a good time reaming me out for not running the engine when it came in and assuming something instead of being sure before I started the repair. Lesson learned, and now hopefully shared.