Force 50hp 1989 year made tag

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Where do you find the tag on the year a motor was made?
I was told it should start with some A's or something.I cannot find a tag on the outside of the motor,or any place on the inside.
Assuming it is a 1x2 tag.. or something.

Looked all over inside the motor as well.Just some stamp markes on the head was about all I could find.

I ordered a head gasket that was shot,and it was the wrong one.It was suppose to fit according to the place i got it from.But the 10 holes were off..It seems there were 3 or so different bore holes or something on this model according to the guy i took it to..This gasket was 1/4 in short length wise,and width wise.
Thanx,
Scotty :)

Jiggz

Captain
I doubt if the tag is still there. But typically it is in the transom clamps. If it's all gone, then the best thing to do to ID your motor is to post some pics of it with the cowling off. Focus the pics on the ignition system, carbs and a 3/4 view of the entire motor. Forum members with similar motor will surely chime in to ID it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Under the coils or the power pack.
​On the top cylinder might be a foundry stamp.
In the circle/stamp might be the year.

Like Jiggz suggested pics of the motor and housing and everywhere.
Sometimes on the starter is a date(unless it's been changed)??

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks both of you.
Ya i see a shade mark on the transom clamps..missing..
I did find a number on the top that was stamped under where i took off the head.
K124211
Also on the left side 1/2 way down was a 691010 ,with a circle that has 88.
But im taking it that isnt a good number as its a 89 as it has coils.The 88 is a print,not a stamp.

Will have to look again as i did notice some out of order numbers(3 i believe) and that might be a year too.
i can take pics tomorrow,but want to take these numbers to the mechanic to see if it might b the ones on cylinder head.

Im actually trying to find out what of 3 gaskets are the one i need.Seems 3 different bores.
I will also look under the 2 blue coils as well.. But didnt see anything before.Kinda crowded in there lol.
Thanks,
Scotty

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 88 came with CDI ignition.
​The blue coils usually mean it's a CDI ignition.
The Prestolite(blue) was used through 92 then Mercurys ignition was used.
A couple pics would help?
​F658529 is the gasket used on 88 and 89, 90
In 87 they used 2 different gaskets. F658529(late) and F201529-1(early)
91 used another 691529-1
So if yours falls into the 88-90 order 658529

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks,got the right one and putting it on today :)
What is the torque on the bolts for the head gasket?
50 lbs?

Jiggz

Captain
No! The torque for the headbolts is 225 INCH-LB. NOTE inch pounds or about 19 (18.75) FT-LBS. It's highly recommended you do at least a two step torque process, i.e. following the torque pattern required, torque all bolts initially to about 10 ft-lbs and then start all over again to a final torque of 19 ft-lbs. Finally, recheck all bolts to make sure none will turn with 19 ft lbs torque. If a single bolt turns during the final recheck continue to do the rechecking until none of the bolts will move or turn.

Additionally, you need to use the proper range torque, i.e. you cannot use a 250 ft-lb torque wrench for a 19 ft-lbs torque requirement! Proper range depends whether the torque wrench is mechanical (click type or dial type) or a digital type. With mechanical type acceptable working range is typically 20%-80% of the torque range. While for digital types it is about 10%-100%.

So what does this mean? In the preceding example of 250 ft-lb torque wrench, the minimum acceptable working range will be 20% of 250 ft-lb equals 50 ft-lbs! While the maximum acceptable working range is 200 ft-lbs! Since your requirement is only 19 ft-lb then the 250 ft-lbs torque wrench is not applicable to you. The most applicable torque wrench in your case will be something that has 50~90 ft-lbs range.

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well thats alot of info,appreciated.Bought a smaller one today... Inch LB....So I tighten it to 225 inches I guess.Mabe go through 3 steps to get it to the desired tightness.It goes from 120 inches up to 960 inches..Was only 20 bucks,so guess that will work :)
Appreciate the information..Never have used one before,so watched a couple utube vids..
Rain today,so going to do it tomorrow.

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Jiggs,
I was going to go down to put it on today,but thought id make sure.The holes are all correct as far as mounting,but then i held them up together,and noticed a difference.The metal ring in the middle is smaller on this one.Guessing bore size difference.
its about 1/8 of an inch smaller,or about the same thickness as the metal ring itself.
This will not work will it?

Was a bummer as i only looked at the holes matching.Then noticed this.. Dang..
Any advise on this?
Thanks a million,
Scotty

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thought Id better add this info as i posted in an old thread earlier..Heres some measurements. :)

I have a bayliner 1989 with a 50 force.Black and pinkish motor cover.No engine tag.
I have no a=b-c or anything.
I bought this as the guy told me it would work. [h=1]Mercury Chrysler Force 50 55 HP Head Gasket 27-F658529-1 18-3854[/h] Hole pattern was correct on it,as i ordered one here in town,and the hole pattern was wrong.
I seem to have 1/2 bolts on the head,as u guys have different size bolts i see..Humm.

Anyways,the metal circular gaskets are smaller than my old one.On top of the head is stamped 691.If that means anything.I measured the bore(piston hole) just in case.Its like 3 5/16....Bore cover with 10 bolts i took off measures close to 3 3/16...
So roughly the new gasket measures 3 5/32....Mine is approximately 3 3/8ths,or to be closer,i believe 3 13/32
So the metal ring is way too close to the edge I believe.

The only other markings i wrote down that i could fine on the motor is in ink on the left side(while looking at the motor from inside the boat) was 691010 with a circle with 88 in gold,under neath those numbers.
Also on the top was numbers k124211

The motor tag is gone,so no way to get the exact stuff i guess lol.
Does anyone know what gasket i actually need(number) ?

Signed confused scotty lol.
P.S.
I believe when the guy here in town looked up gaskets,he said there were 2-3 different boor measurements on the gaskets he looked at.So guessing I have the bigger hole since it didnt fit.