skier 700 non responsive to throttle in gear

brokenwrist

Seaman
Finally got to take my boat out today for a shake down run. The engine has always idles great at home in the tank after I reset the timing, and synched the carbs. Got into some wind today that the electric motor couldn't get me out of and had to use the outboard. When I stuck it in gear and gave it some throttle all the engine wanted to was stall out. Once it was warmed a bit though, it would finally move in gear but didn't want to get up and go even with 3/4 throttle it only idled along. I pulled the carbs off and went through them, found them surprisingly clean for having sat for 3 years. I did find though that the enrichment screws weren't anywhere near being set correctly with each other. I did some digging on the interwebs and found that the 85 horse chryslers the screws are set 1 1/16 turns out. Is this correct for the 70 horse outboards also?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
All the Force/ Chryslers were initially set at that setting or close to that.
But some 3cyl. wouldn't idle at that setting and had to be set at 2 turns for initial adjustment.
The air screws only affect the engine at an idle and just above idle.

Then the high speed jets take over.

So look for a restriction in the fuel system.
Maybe: the squeezie is bad or the fuel line connector is sucking air or the fuel pump isn't working right(valves stuck or diaphragm bad).

First!!
Do a compression and spark test.

One of the first posts in the C/F forum is a post called a link and sinc .
Goes through setting up the carbs.

brokenwrist

Seaman
Oh it's got spark and compression. Reinstalled the carbs this morning, got the fuel system reprimed, and the engine running, engage gear and opened up the throttle like you would from a dead stop in the water, and the engine took off. Gonna take it back out today and see what she'll do.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Revving it on muffs (assuming) means nothing, it can appear to work well even when still in bad shape. Testing in the water is the only way to tell if it's right.

brokenwrist

Seaman
it was in a tank, got it out on the water, was better. Actually had some throttle response, it wanted to get up and move, but the lake I was on, only has a 5 mph speed limit, so I could only test to see if it was hesitant, but I wanted to be safe over being sorry. It still feels like there's something missing though. I'm picking up at idle in gear a small misfire. Timing is right, had to reset that when I bought it, used the very educational and informative video made by frank and got that taken care of. Butterflies are synched. When it's in gear and just over idle it sounds like a paint mixer in a bucket of rocks, but as more throttle is applied it quiets down.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The poor idle is probably the air/fuel mix screws not set right.
​What are the compression readings?
Check the reeds?
At idle they can affect the smoothness.

brokenwrist

Seaman
I was going to do another compression test as I lost and forgot what the readings were when I bought the boat, but got home to late last night. If I can get home on time tonight I'll do another test, haven't checked the reeds yet. I have the mixture screws reset at the initial setting of about 1 1/16 turns out. Starts a hell of a lot better. top carb was 3/4 out, #2 was 2 turns and # 3 was 2 1/2 turns out. I don't have a service manual for it, and I can't find anything on the interwebs on how to get the final setting for the screws. When I pull the intake off, and I'm looking at the reeds, what specifically am I going to be looking for? I also fear that I may have to pull the lower housing and check everything in it, just because of the noise it was making.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You turn the screws until it runs as good as possible, with just a slight preference to the rich side. There is no predetermined or known setting that is perfect, it's adjusted to your exact motor.

brokenwrist

Seaman
Finally gor the time last night to redo the com pression test. 160 lbs on all 3 cylinders. Still can't get the engine to respond to the mixture screws. I'm wondering if it's because the gas I had for it, that was fresh when I bought the boat was over mixed. Sitting and idling the cylinders would load up, and it looked like I was fogging for mosquitos. Double checked the timing, it's good to go, may have to pull the distrubutor and check the points gap. Any know where I can find poits if I need them? I've found them for the 50 hp, 75 hp and 80 hp, but not the 70hp. Are the 70 75 and 80 hp points all the same?

Nordin

Commander
Points is the same for all 3-4 cylinder Chrysler with distributor. 70, 75, 85, 90, 105, 115, 120Hp and soo on.
Setting for the 3 cyliner is 014 and for the 4 cylinder 010.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If you get no response from the air screws, it could be the motors sucking air someplace around the intake.
Does it spit back out the front of the carbs or leak fuel?Yes? The reeds might be bad??
​If you can't find points?
Try Valley Sales in Prudenville, Mi

brokenwrist

Seaman
Now that you mention it, I have seen some fuel drips from the front of all 3 carbs, but only when the engine is tilted and locked up. I was thinking the fuel drips might have been because of the floats, when I have the bowls off they all looked fairly new and in really good shape.