Force 120 wont turn over and no tilt and trim

pigeon

Cadet
Installed my freshly charged batteries and tried to start engine for first time this year, turn key and nothing happens. It's in neutral and the kill switch tab is installed. Also there no tilt and trim. The horn, lights and gauges work. All worked well at end of last season. Suggestions of what to check most welcomed. Thanks. Engine is 1992 and in mint shape.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Main fuse or circuit breaker was tripped. Did you hook the battery up right and what do you mean batteries.

tommarvin

Ensign
We have a 125hp and there is a circuit breaker on port side of motor under the terminal block, make sure the breaker button is pushed down.
You said battery's, I'm assuming you have two battery's, do you have a battery switch,that needs to be turned on?
I would check how you hooked up the battery's did you connect them with nylon locking nuts never wing nuts., It worked before you took the battery's out. What changed,you could test them with a load tester to be sure.
Make sure the neutral interlock switch is pushed down.
Take the kill switch tab out and make sure it's in correctly.
Is this when you jump the solenoids two large lugs with a screwdriver to bypass the ignition switch make sure the key is on and the flush muffs are full of water,don't get shocked,

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you missed a wire when hooking up the battery's.
​Or circuit breaker.
Under the dash is a fuse panel.
Check for blown fuse.

IF?? he has power to the horn etc. It's a good guess the switch is on??
Stop guessing.

pigeon

Cadet
Update. Motor cranks if I jumper direct to starter. All assessories work except radio. Radio works if I run a jumper from negative terminal to engine block. I dont think I have a circuit breaker on engine? The 20 amp fuse on engine is good. I have cleaned battery terminals well. FYI, other two batteries are for trolling motor and that works. I also don't see fuse box under dash.

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like a bad Neg connection between the block and battery

pigeon

Cadet
Second update. I have cleaned the ground wire to block and all wires on solenoid. Nothing happens when I jump the two positive power wires on the solenoid. If I connect from positive on battery direct to starter it will crank. Could I have a bad solenoid? If so would that also answer why the tilt and trim doesn't work either? How can I check if solenoid is bad? Again, all dash gauges work with the exception of the radio. Radio works if I run a jumper from ground on the battery to the engine block. Thanks for your help. This is getting the better of me.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Are you talking the warning horn for the motor or the boat horn works. How do you know the gauges work if the motor doesn't run and why would the radio be wired to the motor. It sounds like you connected the wiring for the boat and forgot to connect the cables from the motor. Follow the big cables out of the motor and make sure they are connected sometimes they fall behind stuff and get lost. Like jerry said sounds like you missed some wires.

Last edited:

pigeon

Cadet
Last update. Got it all working! Yes I forgot to hook up second pair of cables to main battery. They were hiding on me! Been doing the same routine for over 20 years so feel like a fool. Thanks for your help, it made me look again for more cables.