1988 forc 125 timeing

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Look at the top of the chrysler/force forum top sticky from frank Acampora tutorial on timing and carb sync

lopster3

Recruit
lopster3 yes I halve lookt at the video I need to no ware o tds shod be at idle with timing light

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No not at idle.
The static timing can be done while not running.
Otherwise the motor needs to be running with a load on the prop and operating at wide open throttle.
This means running the boat at wide open while operating a timing light.
This also means the motor/prop is right and will reach 5500rpm's at wide open.
This is real dangerous and can be tricky.
The static timing is relatively easy.

lopster3

Recruit
lopster 3 at idle with timing light top dead center mark shows up on timing mark is this suppose to

lopster3

Recruit
lopster3 pulled plug wires ground them jump switch and full throttle turn over motor set timing not to far out then started motor just for fun and set timing light on it and on idle top dead center is on timing mark at idle runs grate thanks I gess its rite

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
One of the top posts in the forum is a post on setting timing.
​Setting it at idle while running you can be as much as 30d or more off????????
The post covering static timing is what you need to do.

You can damage the motor.

Timing an outboard in NOT like timing a car.

Nordin

Commander
lopster 3

Please wright your posts with punctuation marks and comma marks. It is almost impossible to read and understand you. It will make it alot easier to understand and help you.

When you set the timing on most OBs you set it at WOT. It is fixed at idle.

Most Chrysler/Force OB have 30dgr advance BTDC at WOT dynamic. If you set it static it will be 28dgr BTDC.

Dynamic setting is when you run the OB at WOT in water at the right rpm and under load.
Static setting is to set it when runing with starter motor or if it has points setting it with identify when the points start to open (no runing motor).

Dynamic setting is the best for proper setting/tuning.

Last edited: