85 hp 1987 (856X7A) Upgrade to Power tilt/trim... What is compatible?

Nomad98

Cadet
I have a Force 85 hp engine with no power tilt/trim. This year I was diagnosed with bone cancer and I am unable to lift the engine anymore which of course makes it impossible to land/launch the boat. I have been looking for a power tilt/trim to put on the engine but there are no 87 power tilt/trim units that I can find. The common tilt/trim is 88 - 90 something! Does anyone know if the later year tilt/trims (88-above) are compatible with an 87? As far as I can tell my transom mount is different (Lower bolts go through transom, upper clamps on the inside of the transom). The newer transom mount has all 4 bolts going through the transom. If I purchase a newer 88-above power tilt/trim can I use my transom mount and just add the power tilt/trim to my current mount? Are there any other compatibility issues that I need to know about?

Thanks for any insight or help
Phil (Nomad98)

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I'm pretty sure that any of the 1988 or 1989 style Tilt/Trim setups will work on your motor, however you may have to change the transom mounts too. The transom mounts for Tilt/Trim have a special mount/bolt holes for the T/T pump. You will also need the wiring harness, circuit breaker and relays for the Tilt/Trip pump.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Have you looked at an aftermarket unit, like a CMC PT 130 comes as a complete bolt on unit very reliable and still made so parts are available for them.

Nomad98

Cadet
I am looking into the CMC units and may go that option. When its all said and done the CMC will end up costing about the same as the used but there will be some warrenty on it!

The tilt trim pump on my bracket mounts with three screws and that apears to be the same as the 88 mounting?!

Thanks!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The clamp on is the same as the bolt on.
​You can use any thing from 86 up to I think 92 or 94 when they went to Mercury T@T
The earlier Chrysler might fit but has a different wiring diagram.
The later needs relays and wiring.
It can be bypassed but needs heavier wiring to operate from the dash.
There is a bracket that needs to be installed on the kingpin area.
If not it will chew holes in the soft aluminum.
​Called a thrust bracket. F449354
Usually anyone selling a T@T unit won't include it.

Nomad98

Cadet
Thanks jerryjerry05 and Simple_Man. Very helpful info in the other post! I have my sights on an 88 TNT so I will need to pull the trigger. Most likely I will have more questions but I feel comfortable buying the 88 unit as a starter!

Nomad98

Cadet
Well I got a CMC tnt for a great price. I'm worried that the stearing linkage will not clear the boat when I tilt back the motor? I have a Bayliner Bass Trophy 17 ft, 1987. Has anyone put a CMC On one of these boats? Ugh! The linkage tucks into a hole in the boat when the engine is turned to the right.

Last edited:

Nomad98

Cadet
No Title

Here is a picture as it is without the CMC installed.

Attachments

• photo245405.jpeg
    photo245405.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 4

Nomad98

Cadet
Well, the CMC WILL NOT FIT. It is sold and I will be putting a factory tilt/trim on my boat instead. The stearing linkage was not going to clear the body on my Bayliner Bass Trophy. Measured and remeasured and it was just not gonna cut it with clearance.