1989 Force 125, carb question.

Chevyboi001

Cadet
have a 1989 force and i have fuel coming out the mouth of carb. which leads me to believe i have float or float sealing issues. my primer bulb will get hard but you can still pump it so not that hard (unless thats normal). any way im gonna pull the carbs apart problem is i have press in needle seats, and ive heard of lil tiny o-rings to seal fuel shut off. my carbs have no orings. i have a full brass seat then a seal on the tip of the needle. so does this mean i dont have the orings or are the orings supposed to be there??. i also have the foam looking floats, so im gonna try for new ones. but i wanted to address this needle seat question before i order parts. thanks

1989 force 125hp engine code 1251a9d

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Yes you have the pressed in seats. As long as the seats are smooth and not pitted, they should be fine. The rubber tip on the end of the needle valve acts as the seal. You have no "O" rings. The black "Foam" type floats seem to get less buoyant with age which affects you float level adjustment.

Be aware that many of the new replacement plastic floats do not have a metal tab for float level adjustments. The tab is plastic so I'm not sure how you're supposed to adjust the float level. When you bent the tab, it just goes back to the way it was originally. Maybe heat the tab, I don't know? I found a set of used trashed carbs very cheap that had the plastic floats with metal tabs. Took the floats out and have been using them with no problems.

Chevyboi001

Cadet
ok great really appreciate the quick reply, i just got a lil worried when every post i search was someone in panic over the little o-rings. haha, but my seats look fine just wondered if they were missing the oring, but now i know. i just ordered the parts. my first time owning outboard boat, i love it and this force motor seems to get trashed talked alot but in reality nice little motor, it runs great. i just saw fuel coming out the inlets and figured i take care of this problem before it cost me something big. thanks again

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
is the fuel coming out when running or just when you have the motor tipped up for storage ?

Chevyboi001

Cadet
running and tilted, its really not a lot either. its just when I run the engine i can see a tiny puddle in the carb. then if i tilt it it leaks but i figured that was due to tilted engine. i just was concerns on if im flooding engine at idle.

Jiggz

Captain
Is the engine running rough at all both at WOT or idle? Or just at idle or just at WOT?

Chevyboi001

Cadet
just idle, wot perfect. at idle ever now and then it will hiccup the go back to idling. sometimes idle will jump up to 2k and stay then it will drop back down around 1k.

Jiggz

Captain
Will it idle smoothly with the cowl cover off? What is your idle rpm at neutral in the water?

tommarvin

Ensign
We had a air leak we didn't know about until we changed all the hoses on the motor and all the way to the tank with USCG A1-15 fuel hose.
Our idle would jump to 2k-2.5 and stay there for a while, not any more, motor idles like a 4 stroke efi now.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The little o-ring would swell because of additives like Seafoam(garbage) (my opinion) or Ethanol.
​The swelling would cut off the supply of fuel.
Then someone would clean it let it dry and the swelling would go away and for a short time no problems.
Then it would happen all over again????

The black floats are pretty much what your stuck with.
The 85's had brass floats and were good until you got water in there and the water and fuel would end up putting holes in them.

When the carbs are off, look into the reeds and see if they are all ok.
Small gaps are OK.

If you can squeeze the bulb and it doesn't get hard or stay hard, either the diaphragm or the one way valve in the squeezie could be bad???

Chevyboi001

Cadet
1k idle in water most of times but sometime will get stuck at 2k in neutral. in gear its always around 1k1.2k. i looked at reeds all seem ok from looking. i order carb kits and fuel pump rubber diaphragm. i hear those sometimes go bad im tearing it apart tonight.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
99% of the time the carbs just need cleaning.

The kits you get: make sure the parts match with the old parts.
Lots of times the needle is different.

Chevyboi001

Cadet
WHO EVER POSTED VACUUM LEAK, ILL BUY YOU A DRINK ONE DAY HAHA. to bad i found out about it after replacing all the other parts. but hopefully i can set the idle and air/fuel this weekend on the water and go have some fun(havent check weather and tide yet.) thanks to all

tommarvin

Ensign
The forum accepts your offer ,the next round of drinks for the forum is on you. Safe boating

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That hose allows the motor to suck!!!
​If your motor really was sucking air it probably would have been a gasket or seal.
You just had a bad hose.