Force 90HP... play in throttle

kyleent

Cadet
Bought a pontoon and rebuilt it... Tried it out for the first time yesterday...

I'm not at all experienced at this stuff so please forgive that...

Its a Force 90HP on a 95 Sundancer 24'. From the serial number (barely readable) we have narrowed down that its around 93-95 model.

It seems to have a high idle... but that I can live with for now...

When you go to engage the throttle you get the "thump" right away like every other boat I have ever driven. But then when you move the throttle forward you have to go past 45 degrees before you start to rev the engine... Then you have maybe 3-4 inches of actual throttle control before you are wide open on the control... When you are wide open on the control you just get the feeling that the motor isn't actually wide open.

I opened up the control itself today and don't see any adjustment there. On the motor end it looks like it could be adjusted but I don't want to mess with things back there without some advice.

I would love to be able to say what the RPM's were but I installed a new Tach as part of this and the readings are everywhere... It would jump from 4-6k with no change in engine speed and then set at 2k with the engine off. Flip the key off and on again and it would be back to zero...

Honestly I might normally take this to a mechanic but we are hoping to use the boat for Memorial Day weekend and I doubt it would even get looked at. Plus I want to learn enough to do some things myself.

Any advice?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The tach needs to be set for the motor there should be a dial in back you need to find out the poles in the stator and set it accordingly.. To check the throttle opening is easy push the throttle all the way forward and make sure the butterflies in the carb are at 90 deg open

kyleent

Cadet
I set the tech to the 5 setting which is for 12 poles which is what the paperwork says....

I checked the butterfly... Pic is what I am getting at WOT on the control... Other pic is just the general setup...

What next? throttle2.jpg throttle1.jpg

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
you appear to have a 95+ model engine based on the different controls. As for the butterflies you are not geting WOT position so there is definitely adjustment needed - I don't know exactly what you should adjust - usually it's the rod with those green plastic end on it but they look adjusted out pretty far already.

it would be helpful if you showed a more of a side view of the cam as something doesn't look right there.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
you might want to repost your earlier pictures - they don't work now.

is that in the full throttle position ? if so, something is seriously amiss as the "finger" of the cam should be hitting the roller. I'm sure more knowledgeable guys will chime in. But check out this video for general guidelines. Don't change timing or fuel mixtures, just concentrate on the linkages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDoR64jP5l8&feature=youtu.be

kyleent

Cadet
No Title

Fixed the pics... I think...

No, that third pic is with the throttle back to neutral... Below are pics with throttle wide open at control. Only place I see for much adjustment would be maybe at the bottom where the black ends are that the cable actually pulls on...

I will check out the video

Attachments

• photo244557.jpg
    photo244557.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244558.jpg
    photo244558.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244559.jpg
    photo244559.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Go to the top of the post and read Frank Acampora link and sync post. That needs to be done before anything

kyleent

Cadet
I reviewed the video and checked the butterflies... they are all function as per the video... when you manually push the throttle wide open they are at 90 degrees... issue is that when you wide open the control its not pulling the cable far enough to pull the throttle wide open and put the butterflies at 90 degrees...

tommarvin

Ensign
Put the shifter at the control box in neutral, put the motor in neutral how,slowly push the shift rod down while turning the prop for forward, mark the shift rod if you can, slowly lift the shift rod up while turning the prop for reverse, mark the shift rod if you can. the middle of these two points is neutral put shift shaft in neutral.
Hook up throttle cable for 1/4 inch of tension, so the idle screw touch's the block with a little pressure then hookup shifter cable without tension in neutral.
Now when you put the shifter in WOT adjust butterflies so there horizontal When you are in neutral the butterflies should be closed.