1986 force 125 B model rectifier just quit?

loneride

Cadet
Trying to understand why the rectifier just quit. 1986 Force 125 B model i had it running in the drive way on water muffs and ran fine. checked compression,new spark plugs,changed lower end fluid,greased all fittings. Installed the Blue Sea mini add a battery system, installed second battery checked many times by me and my brother all wired per installation instructions. Feeling good so go to the lake put boat in water, it will trun over, will not start. No spark, bring boat home and troubleshoot. The RECTIFIER is bad? any ideas on what happend? im not understanding, nothing i did should have made this happen. Help me understand. Thanks in advance.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Rectifier has nothing to do with the engine running or spark. Ask the moderator to move this to the force/chrysler forum. Guys there have a lot of knowledge

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Like Scott said, it won't stop you from starting.
​Maybe when installing the batteries you shorted it ?
Hooked up the cables backwards? Kill switch?

You have spark now?

Check the flywheel key?

Jiggz

Captain
Rectifiers are solid state units and can easily be damaged even with the quickest of reverse polarity battery connection. I mean if you are trying to connect a second battery and accidentally connected it in reversed and saw spark and quickly disconnected, the battery will not suffer any damage nor will the rest of the wiring but not solid state equipment or parts directly connected to the battery.

As for the no spark, check the kill switch first. If problem continues, disconnect the white wire coming off the CDM's from the engine terminal board and try again. Caution, with the white wire disconnected, there is no electrical way from the ignition switch to shut down the motor if it gets started. So make sure cooling water is properly connected and if you have to shut down the motor, ground the disconnected white wire. Just make sure you are insulated from it as it's "hot". Personally, when I do this troubleshooting I use a long wire with an alligator clip on both ends. One end is attached to ground while the other end is dangling free and if I have to shut down the motor, I just touch the free end to the dangling white wire.

loneride

Cadet
Thank you for all the suggestions. I thought this was going in the Force/Chrysler section. If the moderator can move this i would apprecieate it.

tommarvin

Ensign
Loneride, you are at the Force forum.
You had the blue sea add a battery post, had a question about how to wire it..
Are you sure you have the blue sea add a battery system installed correctly now.
We have a 1988 Force 125 A model, CDI has a regulated rectifier for our motor and probably yours, go to cdielectronic.com find your rectifier and you will see a upgrade option for a regulated rectifier.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Tom post a pic of the upgraded part you put on your motor or a link to it(I can't find it)??
Is it a 4 lug or 5 lug?
Show how it's wired.
The rectifier is the regulator.

IF?? your system uses a 4 wire you need a 4 wire rectifier.

loneride

Cadet
Thank you everyone who offered a opption to check. Update i found the ground wire on the rectifier wasent tight. I tightened the ground and it startts fine now. To answer some of the questions. 1 i do not have a kill switch. 2 yes i do have a Blue sea mini add a battery, and it is wired and fused per the installation instructions.

Now i am noticing that the charging system may not be preforming properly. 2 new batterys at 12.6 volt each. At idel in gear (trolling speed) the digital volt meter on my new depth finder shows a steady 12 volts for 3/4 day fishing. aathen started bouncing from 11.9 to 12.0 ok not a big deal but going in the wrong direction. Then under 1/2 power (no tach) it showed 11.8 again wrong direction. Checked start battery 12.6 volts, accessory battery 12.2 volts. Im not shure what going on or where to start looking at the moment,any ideas? Thanks

Jiggz

Captain
The best way to check if a rectifier is working or not is by doing the following:
1. With engine off, test battery terminal voltage and write it down.
2. With engine running at idle and cowl cover off, raise rpm to about 2000 rpm. If you do not have a tach just listen to the engine at higher rpm. Measure AC voltage between the two yellow wires coming off the stator. Write it down.
3. Next measure DC voltage from the red and black wire or to ground from the rectifier output wires.

Compare all readings:
Step two readings should be around 13~16 volts AC
Step three readings should be above Step one readings (battery terminal voltage readings).

If step two readings is zero, you have a bad stator charging circuit or wiring.
If step two reading is within the said voltages but step three is zero or is equal to or lower than step one, then you have a bad rectifier.