Force 15hp only one cylinder with spark

force15hp

Cadet
Hello, Newbie to outboards and just bought a non running 15hp force outboard. Didn't have spark to begin with and found out that the previous owner didn't properly put the lead wires on the ignition plug in coil. Put those on and had perfect spark and fired on spray, put it in a water tank and tried to get it running and wouldn't run. I then removed the carb and tried to clean it, put all back together and now it has no spark and wont fire on spray. Went out today and has spark on the bottom cylinder and pretty sporadic and faint with no spark on the top cylinder. Whats going on here? Also, is there supposed to be a tube running through the main nozzle in the carb? I tried to take out the main nozzle and wasn't able to and theres a bronze tube floating in there, almost seems its broken off. Thanks for any help!

Serial # oe017705
Ignition plug in coil part #879614

tommarvin

Ensign
We have a 125hp, and we have a idle tube running through the main nozzle in the carb, that bronze tube floating around is the idle tube.,I don't know if you can put it back in, or you have to get a main nozzle? .
Outboardignition.com explains how to trouble shoot and test all ignition parts, so does cdielectronics.com but it's more complicated.
I'm guessing it's a switch box/power pack, one side can work and the other side can be broken for one cylinder fires the other doesn't.random weirdness.
Fix the carb now your down to an ignition problem.
You could be proactive and remove the flywheel, are the magnets still glued tight, are there any brown or burned marks on the stator.
Check every inch of wire any bare or broken, on all ignition parts especially where a wire goes into a connector, pull wires hard did any pull out.
If this is a new motor to you,drain and refill the lower unit gear lube, get new factory seals not O rings.
replace the impeller, you-tube explains it perfect, watch video until you feel comfortable.
To be safe put the stat in warming hot water what temp does the stat open.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No such thing as an idle tube???
​You don't know don't post.
Where's the thermostat located on a 15?
Stop guessing. Your giving all kinds of WRONG info.
The only thing your motor and his has in common is they are both Forces.
A broken watch is right 2 times a day and the rest of the day it's really wrong.

Force15 Any idea the year?
I think it's a 92-93 but it would help a lot to know for sure?

They used 3 different carbs and 3 different ignition systems.

It sounds like the loose part is the bypass tube.
Supposed to be in there. If the main nozzle is clear??? don't mess with it.

Since your new you can't post until you have 5 posts.
I'd like to see a pic of the ignition system and the carb.
Send me a PM with your e-mail and you can send me a pic.

By the way you don't have a thermostat.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
In the book it's called an idle tube. My bad.
​The parts diagrams call it a bypass tube.
​Like I said if it doesn't come out don't mess with it.

To 'fix" the carb needs to be completely disassembled.
The welch plugs and all.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Saw the pics.
​You have the "updated" system from CDI.
Go to.
​CDI and look up your motor in their Force parts section.
The power pack will have test procedures for their parts.
If you can't figure it out, you can call them and ask questions.

The carb set the air screw at 1 and 1/2 turn out until you nee to fine tune it?
The look in the top posts for the procedure.

force15hp

Cadet
Well at least its updated! Ill try to find the testing procedure and go from there. Ill be back if I need more help! Thanks

force15hp

Cadet
How do I find out exactly what year this motor is? Seems pretty important when searching on CDI

force15hp

Cadet
Update: got the outboard running like a banshee! When the previous owner did the CDI ignition update he/she loosely put the wires under the flywheel and 2 wires were rubbed bare. They were shorting out causing my sporadic spark on the bottom cylinder and loss of spark on the top cylinder. Thanks to everyone who helped (especially jerryjerry05)

tommarvin

Ensign
Another wire problem, I would check every inch of wire on your motor just to be safe especially where wires go into connectors,pull them hard..
Did you ever figure out or fix the tube that was floating around in your carb?

force15hp

Cadet
I went and tugged on most of the wires inside of the flywheel and all were good. I did not figure out the "idle tube" or "Bypass tube" but I put the carb back on and it fired right up after some spray. I attached a makeshift tank above the motor and it ran great in the water tank! Onto the next process of figuring out what gastank it needs and also to find a primer bulb, as the one I have seems very old and wont draw gas.