Bluefin Spectrum w 85hp Force wont start or turn over newbie here looking for help

Quastello

Cadet
old guy with boat problems and never owned a boat but anyway the boat was running awesome everytime ive takin it out 6 times since purchased last fall, I did a bonehead rookie mistake of putting plug in wrong hole and took in lots of water and motor wouldn't turn over but ran it the nite before. I dried it out well for 4 days and put back together adding a new solenoid but same prob engine wont turn over. Redid a couple of other wires I hadn't replaced and same, I have power everywere on boat and at engine with tilt and chokes all working need some help for this old newbie thanks, could it be in the control levers? as I checked all fuses at dash and were all good

Last edited:

salmonslammer

Seaman
Not trying to be a tool... but are you sure it's in neutral?

Kill switch tether engaged?

Start with the simple things first...kill switch got me once.

Jiggz

Captain
You probably have tripped ckt breaker for the starting/charging ckt. Or you could also have a misaligned neutral switch. To make sure it is not the starter do the following troubleshooting. Prep the unit for starting making sure there is cooling water connected through muffs. DO NOT TURN ON THE WATER YET. Remove all plugs and then start it.

Did it crank over? Yes, then you can put back in the plugs. NO, then using a 3/8" or larger screw driver and holding it at its insulate handle, short the two large terminal posts on the starter solenoid. Did it crank over? Yes, you have ignition switch problem (since you said you have a new solenoid installed) either a tripped breaker or a neutral switch is misaligned. No, it means the starter could be bad or battery cables need to be cleaned and re-tightened, or there is a problem with the lower unit preventing the unit from cranking over. Remove the lower unit and try again. The preceding is with all plugs removed.

If from the preceding it cranked over without the plugs, reinstall plugs and turn on cooling water. And then after re-installing the plug it don't want to crank or is too slow to crank over to get it started, do the same troubleshooting again. Short the solenoid with a screw driver, if it cranks over fast enough to start check the solenoid connections making sure it is clean and tight. Visual is not enough you have to disconnect, clean and then reconnect.

If shorting the solenoid doesn't make it crank fast enough still, use jumper cables and jumper the starter straight to the battery terminals both positive and negative. If this makes it crank fast, then you need to check cables from solenoid and battery for clean and tightness. If it still would not crank fast enough, starter is faulty and needs overhaul or replacing.

Quastello

Cadet
the kill switch looks ok but I'm not sure I could have bummed it but it looks fine and that's what it seems like some safety switch I reset the 2 breakers by motor could there be other breakers I'm not seeing or unawear of there is power at starter hot and the yellow wire on buse when key is turned

Jiggz

Captain
I need to check the wiring diagram. What year is this 85 HP Force?

Jiggz

Captain
There is a neutral switch just below the carbs that cuts off power to the starting circuit if not aligned at neutral. Anyways, as I have stated, try the troubleshooting above and it will narrow down the problem. Just make sure you take note . . . the more the symptoms the narrower the troubleshooting needs to be. The kill switch will still allow the starter to engage but it will prevent the motor from running or firing. You said it will not even turn or crank over which means the kill switch is not the problem at this time.

tommarvin

Ensign
I'm still trying to figure out what happened, you put the drain plug in the wrong hole and the boat sank and everything got wet,the motor all the electrical,control box?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Test the battery?
Jump the solenoid.
See if it turns over then?
Pull the plugs and see if water got that high?
Test light????
Try the post on the starter as someone turns the key.
Power there? take starter apart.

Please explain? buse?
(I'm not seeing or unawear of there is power at starter hot and the yellow wire on buse when key is turned)

​The only solid yellow wire might be a stator wire???
​The wiring is standardized. All older Force 50/85/125/150120/90 etc.used the same cable.

The ignition or key switch has a yellow with red trace to the solenoid.
This is the start wire when the ignition is energized.

The motor will turn over even if the kill switch is off..

Last edited:

Quastello

Cadet
no the boat didn't sink just took some water in but I got the problem solved and it was the neutral switch out of position thanks for the help guys

Jiggz

Captain
You're welcome. That was an easy one. However, if the boat took in some water make sure you drain it well to prevent it from getting water logged. To do this while on the drive way, raise the front of the trailer while the drain hole is wide open. Leave it like this for days or as long as the dripping stops. Of course, you also do not want it rained on so make sure it is under covers.

Last edited: