96 force 120 rectifier regulator

Chrisried

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 96 force 120 that is having charging issues. I just put a new battery in and ran it for 4-5 hours and now it is only reading 12.3 v. The tach doesn't seem to work. I think it's a issue with the rectifier regulator but the price for a new one is pretty expensive. Is there a universal one that will work?

Jiggz

Captain
Actually there is. If you search for voltage regulator in this forum you'll come across what is called Universal Voltage Rectifier/Regulator UVR) which costs around $45. These UVR are typically used for motorbikes, small personal crafts and some ATV's. You can also google it to see what it looks like.

Chrisried

Seaman Apprentice
Actually there is. If you search for voltage regulator in this forum you'll come across what is called Universal Voltage Rectifier/Regulator UVR) which costs around $45. These UVR are typically used for motorbikes, small personal crafts and some ATV's. You can also google it to see what it looks like.

Yeah, a searched amazon and saw some but wasn't sure if they would work.

Jiggz

Captain
The critical point for voltage rect/reg is the current or amp rating of the unit. The original VRR is rated at 14 amps. Just make sure the UVRR you get is at least rated the same or higher. Additionally, there could be a difference with the tach signal wire which would not be present on the UVRR. In this case you will have to modify the wiring by directly connecting the grey signal wire to one of the yellow input wires.

Chrisried

Seaman Apprentice
The critical point for voltage rect/reg is the current or amp rating of the unit. The original VRR is rated at 14 amps. Just make sure the UVRR you get is at least rated the same or higher. Additionally, there could be a difference with the tach signal wire which would not be present on the UVRR. In this case you will have to modify the wiring by directly connecting the grey signal wire to one of the yellow input wires.

Thanks for the info.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
e-bay as low as 50 used and 77 new.
​E-bays buyer protection has gotten really good.

Outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures for your system.
But they are pretty tough to do on parts of the tests.
You'll need a special meter.

Try unhooking the tach before you buy anything.

Last edited:

Chrisried

Seaman Apprentice
So finally got around to testing and found that the orginal rect has no continuity either way through either yelloe lead. I ordered a replacement and it has two red leads while the original only had one from what i found one is a sense wire and the other is b+ my guess is that the b+ wire is used but im not sure what to do with the sense wire. Do i tape it up or do i connectnit somewhere.

Jiggz

Captain
Not sure which rect/reg you got. If you can post a link or a pic maybe it'll give us an idea. However, you can also just tape off the sense red wire and then check if it's working by taking battery terminal readings and comparing it when the engine is off and on. Make sure the motor is idling at least up to about 1500 ~ 2000 rpm (fast idle) before taking voltage readings.

Chrisried

Seaman Apprentice
This is the desription.

TRR3072Reg, Rect Assy
? 12 Volt, Series-Type, 14.4 Vset
? Mercury Marine
? Transpo
? T-Clad Hybrid construction
? Notes - 6-wire type,Terminal ID: Gray Tach, Yellow AC, Red (Female) Sense, Red (Male) B+, Black B-, Yellow AC
? Replaces - Mercury Marine 815279-3, 815279-5, 815279T, 830179-2, 830179T, 854515, 856748, 883072, 883072T

Jiggz

Captain
Great. Accordingly, you are not supposed to use the red female connector or what is referred to as the sense wire. Just tape it off and you should be good to go.