SMOKE!

Jiggz

Captain
From the preceding it seems you have a spark problem. To isolate the problem, you need to switch parts. Since it looks like you have the thunderbolt ignition system (with a switchbox), the only parts you can switch are the ignition coils. If the problem follows, then you know it is the ignition coil that is the problem. If the problem does not follow you will need a to measure the resistance on the trigger wires and also on the stator. You might want to check CDI electronics for the proper resistance values. Again you need to validate what year is your engine to get the accurate measurements and values.

CarlW

Cadet
From the preceding it seems you have a spark problem. To isolate the problem, you need to switch parts. Since it looks like you have the thunderbolt ignition system (with a switchbox), the only parts you can switch are the ignition coils. If the problem follows, then you know it is the ignition coil that is the problem. If the problem does not follow you will need a to measure the resistance on the trigger wires and also on the stator. You might want to check CDI electronics for the proper resistance values. Again you need to validate what year is your engine to get the accurate measurements and values.

thanks, Jiggz. I just swapped the coil leads and problem followed! Just the bottom cylinder ran. I have ordered two replacement coils. Might as well replace the pair. I'm sure the other one isn't going to last much longer as they are originals.
Looks like I'll be back on the water soon!
Thanks for your help. I sure learned a lot :)

Jiggz

Captain
Great. Anyways, looking back at the picture Jerry is correct you do have the Prestolite ignition system. I can barely see the CD module at the bottom of the pics which is the larger rectangular blue unit.