How bad will a low stator reading affect performance?

salmonslammer

Seaman
After last months headache with my own motor (running great now!), I've taken on one of my coworkers 1988 85hp. (Bang head here)

I'm finding the stator is reading 630 (instead of the 680-800) Should he send it out to be reworked?

Thing starts but seems to be having issues at idle. Likes to stall unless you have it in the fast idle position. Fires right back up on the restart.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
If you are reading 630 Ohms with the wires disconnected from the harness, then it would appear that some of the windings have shorted together. This will reduce the output voltage resulting in a less hotter spark. Can't say how much it will affect performance. I would imagine that as time goes on, it will get worse.

salmonslammer

Seaman
Thanks.. Thats what I'm thinking too. I know replacing my stator made a big difference in how well it ran.

I just have to convince him to throw the coin at it. I don't think he takes care of his toys... Heck the deck of his pontoon has moss growing on it!

I've got 11 hrs into it so far... $30 and a case of beer only gets you so far!

tommarvin

Ensign
Have you eliminated everything else, first, clean/rebuild carb(s) with carb cleaner and compressed air all openings, replace all fuel filters, air/fuel mixture screw 1.5 turns out, check timing, is the idle set high enough , do coils test ok, cdi packs ok, trigger ok, stators a little weak, oh a compression test, plugs ok, I'm sure, I'm forgetting something.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Get a different meter and double check it do it warm and cold. You are not that far off could be a meter variance.

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Yes it can affect the performance.

630 Ohm is in the range of the spec. 600-800 Ohm.
BUT if you have a higher value for example 800 Ohm. It will generate a higher voltage to charge the capacitors in the switch box and this will charge the capacitors to the right level and even faster. With higher voltage the spark will be hotter provided the ignition coil is healthy.

Check the set up of the carbs (air/fuel mix, float level, idle setting etc) before changing the stator.

The stator value is still in the range and should perform well.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
OEM stators have different ratings than a CDI aftermarket.​
Figure out if it's OEM or aftermarket.

The 88-89/85 The factory suggested the carbs be set at 1 turn out on the air/fuel screw.
Not all will function at that setting. My motors both work great at that setting.

Hook up something to check the spark.
Then start and watch the spark and see if it stops when the motor stalls.

It could be the stator, maybe the fuel.

salmonslammer

Seaman
Thanks Jerry...

Went back out today and wrenched on it....used a borrowed meter and the readings were real close to what I had.

Put his new (used) cdi and coil pack on and the no spark returned. Got looking at the coil wire and found out he has spliced a Kevlar boot onto it.... Has 2 of em like this. Im gussing that the resistance is jacked up and causing the poor running condition.