Force 125 not wanting to start

Bkok33

Seaman
Hey everyone I am new here. I got a 19 foot bayliner open now that I put a 84 force 125 on. However when I go to start it it does a half turn and then pops the breaker. I have tried a different breaker on it too same thing happens. If no spark plugs are in it turns no problem. I have replaced the solenoid already. Battery is new and charged. I can start the motor with someone turning the key and doing a pull start at the same time. Once it's running it runs great. Just need an idea or advice you can give me. Thanks

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
sounds like a wiring issue with the starter ? have you checked it with DVA meter ?

ps - i have same engine if you want to share any pictures, i can compare some things. I wonder if the starter is weak

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
First: do a compression test.
​Remove the plugs and jump at the solenoid.
Inspect the plugs for uneven burn.

That OK? then check: starter, rebuild/ clean, starter cables,

Bkok33

Seaman
I have not checked with a DVA meter. Will be doing that tonight or tomorrow. I have a feeling it's the wiring. Due to the fact it tries to start and pops the breaker guessing the starter is trying to pull more power than what is being supplied and causing the breaker to pop. I have put new spark plugs in and they have great spark. We also tries another starter and it did the same thing. If it's not the wiring it might be the breaker. If it is can I jump the breaker until I get a new one?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Do a compression test. Low comp on 1 cyl. can make it hard to turn over.
That ok? Then drop the lower and see if that makes any difference?

Could be as simple as a loose connection, bad cable or bad cable end.
Not likely but a NEW battery could have a bad cell?But that's not this problem.

Yes you can jump the breaker. You should have 2 on there.

What do you check with a DVA meter in a situation like this??
You'd want a meter that checks load or amps ???

lilgervais

Cadet
having the same issue with mine..i have the starter out being tested now as it was new last year..where would i find the circuit breaker? it pops the fuse while trying to start..i did replace the lower unit this year but did try and remove it and still the same

Jiggz

Captain
"I can start the motor with someone turning the key and doing a pull start at the same time. Once it's running it runs great. Just need an idea or advice you can give me. "

With the above statement, it is obvious your problem is centered on the fact that the starter motor will not turn over the engine fast enough because the ckt bkrs trips. And you said you already replaced the starter solenoid. The ckt bkr is protection for the solenoid's control ckt and totally isolated from its power ckt. For the ckt bkr to trip it is either you have a faulty wiring on the ignition switch or the ckt bkr is already faulty.

Do the following test to isolate the cause of the problem. Set the motor for starting with the cooling water connected. Turn ignition sw to on and then using a screw driver, short the two large terminals on the starter solenoid. Did it turn over fast enough to start the motor? If not, then using jumpers jump the starter straight to the battery. Did it turn over fast enough to start?

If the starter didn't turn over fast enough on any of the two tests, the starter needs some overhauling or replacement. If it started with the first test, verify the solenoid is properly connected with all connections clean and tight. If it did not start with the first test but did so on the second test, in addition to checking the solenoid disconnect the black negative cable from the engine motor, wire brush it until shiny and also the mating surface on the engine block. Reconnect with a lock washer and tighten.

The ckt bkr should not trip on any of the above tests. But if it did, disconnect the red wire coming off the rectifier and try again. if it stops tripping, the rectifier needs to be checked. if it continues to trip, disconnect the red wire going into the terminal block going into the dash. If this stops the tripping then the wiring under the dash going into the ignition sw needs to be checked.

Bkok33

Seaman
jiggz, I will try what you say do you have a picture on how the solenoid is suppose to be wired?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
He said it was the same on another starter.
​The solenoid wouldn't work if hooked up wrong.
It's working or it wouldn't turn it over poorly.

First steps in diagnosing any outboard.
#1 hot battery,kill switch hooked up.
#2 Spark
#3 Compression test. Low comp on #3 and the fuel pump can stop working?? Low comp can cause hard starting.

If you don't want to do a comp test I'll quit buggin you.

If comp is good?? Drop lower unit and see if that helps.

Some units with power trim had a second circuit breaker.
Depending on the year and model??? You have the relays?
Your 84 might not have one?? Pics?

Jiggz

Captain
No Title

Here's a wiring diagram. You might want to save it and then enlarge it for better viewing.

Attachments

• photo243176.jpg
    photo243176.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 0

tommarvin

Ensign
It's time to start testing things so you can start elimiting a list of problems.
Maybe load test the battery, HF has a load tester for 22 bucks.
Don't buy another part until you do all the testing recomended from the guys above.
I admit it our circuit breaker tripped when we hooked the battery cables up wrong, check all battery cables, clean and tight with nylon locking nuts.

Bkok33

Seaman
Thank you all I did what toh said Jiggz. First test didn't work but the second on with the jump from the battery got it spinning. Jerry will be doing a compression test later this week. Have a friend that has the equipment to help me do it.

Jiggz

Captain
Great. Now we know the starter for sure is good. And the most probable cause of your initial problem is a loose negative cable connection on the engine block or battery. If you can, use a stainless split lock washer when tightening the cable terminal to the engine block. Remember, the lock washer goes between the nut and the cable terminal. The cable terminal should have full surface contact against the engine block. Cover the connection with a thin layer of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. Good job on troubleshooting.

Bkok33

Seaman
So just an update, so I found out what was wrong with my motor and why it didn't want to start. The person that helped wire my boat didn't wire it correctly. Found out he didn't run the battery cable from my battery to my solenoid but instead ran it to a smaller wire. Will be getting new battery cables and rerunning it and making it correct. Where do you put the ground/black. Where do you ground it too? I have seen a couple different answers. Just want it done right this time.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
The black battery ground cable is usually bolted directly to the engine block.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The block behind the starter is the spot used by the factory.
​Glad you found the problem.

I know this isn't the problem but did you get a comp test?

You can tell a LOT about the engines health by a simple test.

Now get out there and run the heck out of it!!

Here in Fl. it's been 90d and no wind.
TOOOO hot to even think about a boat ride :(

Jiggz

Captain
Make sure you have a wiring diagram to validate your wiring. If the circuit breaker that is popping out is the same original circuit breaker that was on the motor, then the problem is mostly with the ignition switch wiring or the rectifier wiring. THERE IS NOT CIRCUIT BREAKER BETWEEN THE BATTERY, SOLENOID AND STARTER! When you turn on the ignition switch and place it in "Start" position, basically you are just energizing the starter solenoid, which in turn closes a big switch to turn on the starter.

Let us know if you need a wiring diagram.

Bkok33

Seaman
The block behind the starter is the spot used by the factory.
​Glad you found the problem.

I know this isn't the problem but did you get a comp test?

You can tell a LOT about the engines health by a simple test.

Now get out there and run the heck out of it!!

Here in Fl. it's been 90d and no wind.
TOOOO hot to even think about a boat ride :(

I have not yet Jerry. I will be doing it shortly. The buddy of mine that has it has been out of town or I have been out of town.