force outboard 125hp cable adjustments

lilgervais

Cadet
okay so i installed a diff lower unit this year because last year it would just skip and jump as it was comming in and out of gear at wot..installed the new lower unit and it would not go into forward gear untill the lever was about half way down.so i tried adjusting cables and it died..im assuming i messed up the timing and such..looking to see how to adjust eveything from the throttle cable to shift cable and timing again..also forgot to mention after i installed the lower unit and unloaded it at the boat launch to drive to camp (when i relized it would not go forward untill lever was half way down) the boat did have the same jump as before seeming like it still jumped in and out of gear just not as bad..i am new to this forum hope to get some help.thanks in advance

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,..... I'll move this to the Force outboard forum, it fits better there,....

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
if you are saying the throttle has to be pushed past the 1st click (about 1/3 the way forward) then you might have a stripped connection where the throttle handle meets the base. This is usually a splined connection and you can maybe pull it off and re-center it and re-tighten - up should be neutral.

if that is not the issue you might have a loose connection at the engine end of the shift cable. Post back with some pictures of what you are seeing as that will help.

as for the jumping into gear there is an adjustment on the lower unit you could take the pin out of the lower unit shift rod and turn it 1/2 turn to the left (this will raise the pin and allow it to push more into forward There is a more fine tuned adjustment that you can make under the carbs - there are 2 nuts together there - if you loose the top one and then tighten the bottom that will make it go more into forward. be careful to cover the solenoid with a towel or something as the red wires are always hot.

lilgervais

Cadet
OKAY I WILL TAKE SOME PICS TONIGHT OR SATURDAY DEPENDING WHEN I CAN MAKE IT BACK TO CAMP..THE SHIFTER WAS NOT LIKE THAT WITH THE OLD LOWER UNIT..THE CABLE IN THE ENGINE PART IS WHERE I WAS TRYING TO THE SHIFTING AND MADE IT DIE SO IM GONNA CHECK THE TIMING AND WHAT NOT AND GET IT BACK UP AND RUNNING AND GO FROM THERE..SO TO ADJUST THE PIN IN THE LOWER UNIT IT NEEDS TO BE REMOVED?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The shift rod isn't the way to adjust.
It can be done like that but you risk removing the rod from the coupler.

For the newer blue models.It should be screwed all the way in then out 4 turns(according to the manual)that's for them until 94
The older white manuals didn't say anything about the installation. Neither did Seloc. Seloc FAILED to mention the turning out of the shift rod on the blue units. (BUY FACTORY)
I just screwed them in and then out till the hole lined up.

I have pics of the procedure from the manual(factory)
But since windows 10 I can't post pics or use the ones I had on this site

Unhook the cables.
​Then center the shift mechanism.

With your foot or a helper, spin the prop and move the shifter through the gears.
Trying to find N.
Once you find N then adjust the connectors to fit.

Then try shifting again. Remember to turn the prop EVERYTIME you try shifting
If that doesn't work??

At the top of the shift rod under the bottom carb is a self locking nut, needs a 1/2in, wrench to loosen.
You can adjust that up or down to help adjust the linkage.

If anyone wants the factory procedures I can e-mail them a photo.
Send a PM with an e-mail.

IF the NEW unit shifts hard it might need a new shift shaft seal.

You should be able to shift by hand using a pic in the hole and pulling up and down on the shaft.
Remember to turn the shaft as you pull/push on the rod.

Last edited:

lilgervais

Cadet
JERRYJERRY05 I WOULD LIKE YOU TO EMAIL IT TO ME IF YOU CAN .lilgervais500@yahoo.com..thank you so much for your input and help..unfortunately last night i was up to camp and could not get it running as if the engine was binding or dead battery but tried 3 batterys and jump pack..can crank it over with the rope untill it goes to start then it rips the rope out of my hand..hoping for a bad starter or somthing.i removed the starter and having it tested as we speak,as it was just replaced last year.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
After the starters been reinstalled?
​Sounds like a backfire??? Key in flywheel sheared?
Lett us know about the starter.