95 force 120 starts and then dies

Morgank33

Recruit
Hi everyone I definitely have one for you guys. I have a 95 force 120. I've been reading through all these forms trying to find a solution to my problem and haven't found it yet.

It will start right up and will run for 10 seconds and then die. It was running great last season until towards the end of the season right before I pulled out of the water and it was doing the same thing so I figured it might need a tuneup. That being said I winterized it and last month started working on it, I rebuilt the carbs changed out all the fuel line and filters new spark plugs, new wires compression test was beautiful. I'm very familiar with mechanics and have rebuilt big and small motors including outboards but I'm unfamiliar with the force 120.

After all my research I finally thought I found the solution and thought it was the "fuel enrichment solenoid" so I put a line clamp on that fuel line and whoa be hold it ran beautifully for 15 minutes. And I thought it was golden.

So I ordered a new one and installed it and put the boat in the water today and I'm having the exact same situation. But this time trying to cramp line or even disconnect it is not working at all. I need your help please

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Do you need to pump the ball every time to restart?
Does the ball get hard?
​Check the diaphragm?

Install a spark checker and run until it dies all the time keeping an eye on the spark.

Oh yea WELCOME!!

Jiggz

Captain
When you had it running for 15 mins where you on muffs or on water. Have you tried running it again on muffs and see if it stays running? Have you installed a clear fuel filter between the pump outlet and the carbs' inlet. If not do so. It will help much for fuel related troubleshooting. If you have the clear fuel filter does it at least stays 1/2 full while running, even at idle? If not then you have fuel delivery problem. If it stays at least 1/2 full then you carburetion problem.

Morgank33

Recruit
Do you need to pump the ball every time to restart?
Does the ball get hard?
​Check the diaphragm?

Install a spark checker and run until it dies all the time keeping an eye on the spark.

Oh yea WELCOME!!

No I do not need to pump the ball every time to start.
Yes it does get hard.
I have not done a spark check on it yet but that is definitely something I need to check

Morgank33

Recruit
When you had it running for 15 mins where you on muffs or on water. Have you tried running it again on muffs and see if it stays running? Have you installed a clear fuel filter between the pump outlet and the carbs' inlet. If not do so. It will help much for fuel related troubleshooting. If you have the clear fuel filter does it at least stays 1/2 full while running, even at idle? If not then you have fuel delivery problem. If it stays at least 1/2 full then you carburetion problem.

It does the exact same thing in the water and on muffs.
I did to install a clear filter between the inlet and the carburetor and yes it does stay 3/4 of the way full at all times.
I can put it in neutral and keep it at 2000 RPM's and it runs perfect, but the second I bring it down below that it dies.

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain
No Title

You might want to clean the idle jets on each of the carbs. Here's an illustration why I thing it is an idle jet issue. Note the low fuel ckt. You might want to clean the low speed jets by blowing low pressure air into it. You can do this by removing the "air screw" (fuel air mixture screw) and also dismounting the bowl. While blowing into the cavity from the air screw, you should feel air into the bowl blowing back. Covering the bottom of the idle jet you should see air blowing into the throat of the carb.

Attachments

• photo243082.jpg
    photo243082.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 5

Jiggz

Captain
If clearing the low fuel jet does not resolve your problem, remove the air cover on the carbs and place a while paper infront of the carbs (approx 4"-5" away) while it is running. Watch for fuel blow back, if the paper get wet in less than a minute you most likely have broken reed problems.

Morgank33

Recruit
Update, Jiggz I just started working on the carburetors by pulling out the jet screws and airflow screw and the bulls blue low-pressure air through it all to clean it out drained all my fuel lines to make sure there wasn't any bad fuel. But before all that something that I remembered is on the front of the lower carburetor on the air cover there's a little slot at the bottom and it actually was completely full of fuel and I've noticed that prior to me rebuilding the careers in the first place.

Could you tell me where the reeds are located? That is definitely something I want to check now.

Jiggz

Captain
Checking the reeds require removal of each carburetor and intake adapter. You will see after removal of the carb and adapter is a V-block with feather like valves called reed valves. In fact, with the aid of a flashlight even right after you dismount the carb you can look into the v-block and see if any of the reed valve is missing or bent open. Let us know what you find out.

On the otherhand, be careful with your assumptions. If you are referring to the puddle of fuel on the bottom carb, it could be from the fact you tilted the engine all the way up. If this is the case, then the puddle of fuel at the bottom carb is normal.

Last edited: