Timing

waterboy84

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Reason i say im gonna get a rebuild kit for fuel diaphram is becuz first my boat never idle up like this when put into neutral. Anyhow i took fuel diaphram apart before this problem occurred and the rubber peaces and gasket were all stiff and i had to pull them off as if they had some kind of glue holding them on. So im thinking will the rubber peaces inside fuel diaphram being stiff and im pretty sure the valves and other little peaces that make the diaphram work are in bad shape. So thats why im gonna consider a rebuild on the fuel diaphram.

waterboy84

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Skidad and nordin. I just wanted to update this posting and let you guys know the status of my issue.
I hope this may give you guys some knowledge for the future.
My high rpms in idle has been fixed.the issue was the float inthe bottom carb was set to high. Mean it was letting to much gas into the float bowl.
I noticed the bottom carb was leaking fuel like crazy. Leaking while motor was tilled down as in normal oporation and it was leaking.
So i figured, ahhh, i bet that could be where the high idle is coming from. The float isnt set properly and gas is continuously flowing into float bowl and flowing into carb and getting sucked into motor. So i took that carb off. readjusted to close valve.
Put carb back on and the top carb started to leak. So i did the samething to the top carb.
Now carbs dont leak one drop of gas.
Anyhow i took my boat for a test run and i ammazed.
It ran like a beauty.
No more high rpms when put into neutral.
However i did have to readjust idle stop screw becuz of the access fuel that was over flowing into carb was why motor raise high rpms.
So i unscrewed idle stop screw.
She idles at about 750rpms in gear and is idling at about 1000-1100 rpms in neutral.
Air mixture screws are at 11/4 turns out.

Skidad i remember you mentioned how your rpms raise abit for about 30 seconds then drops back down. Not saying that could be your issue but give it a try and see if your floats are set to high.
However it maybe be something else with yours sense your idle drops down 30 seconds afterwards. Mine never dropped back down.

Skidad and nordine i want to thank you guys for all the help and info and to help me on getting timing set.
Oh and by the way skidad i didnt even do the fuel diaphram rebuild. Problem was floats all this time.
Thanks again. Maybe one day will run into each other on the water. Lol.

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Skidad i remember you mentioned how your rpms raise abit for about 30 seconds then drops back down. Not saying that could be your issue but give it a try and see if your floats are set to high.
However it maybe be something else with yours sense your idle drops down 30 seconds afterwards. Mine never dropped back down.

Skidad and nordine i want to thank you guys for all the help and info and to help me on getting timing set.
Oh and by the way skidad i didnt even do the fuel diaphram rebuild. Problem was floats all this time.
Thanks again. Maybe one day will run into each other on the water. Lol.

i have never removed the carbs - the farthest i got was this year I removed one of the bowls and it was as clean as a whistle and no crud so i just put it back on.

How do you set the float level ? I'm been leery of doing it b/c my engine runs perfect other than the idle rpm fluctuations. Does it require any gaskets to do a quick cleaning and float adjustment ?

Last edited:

waterboy84

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No. I didnt replace any gaskets nor did i spend any money on fixing this issues.
I just bent the little tab on the float to close the jet so fuel bowl doesnt fill up as much as it was.
I got this idea when you mentioned about the high rpm about carbs chewing up the access fuel. Then when i noticed the bottom carb leaking like crazy thats where i got the idea the floats being a issue. When i first came up with this solution i figure the floats aint working right or something is wrong with the needle valve that the float operates that close off fuel.
Even when i would sqeeze the primer blub fuel would just pour out of the carb. And i have never ever had that kind of issue.
I took carbs apart, jet valves looked good.
But someone like me, im always wanting to put in new parts so i know how old that paticular part is but i didnt put new jets. I put the same ones back in.
I then just bent the tab on the float to block off fuel so its not over filling the fuel bowl.
As i mentions carb was leaking pretty good so all that fuel that was over flowing in fuel bowl was just being sucked into motor while it was running.
I bent that little tab on the float and now it doesnt drip a drop of fuel and the high rpms in neutral are gone.

You asked how did i set the float.
I set it to close jet valve alittle before the the float sat level.

Last edited: