Timing

waterboy84

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can some give me some knowledge of a step by step on getting my boats timing right. I have a 120hp force. My boat was running great until one day it just died. I figured the stator went bad so i took fly wheel off along with the trigger and stator ready to put a new stator. Well after talking to one of the experts on this site he saved my life and had me check a few things and test a few other things and turns out stator was good. It was the switch box that was bad. So in the process. Of removing trigger im pretty positive i knocked out the adjustments so now i gotta get proper adjustments back into place. Could someone pass me some step by step knowledge on how to set the trigger properly . thank you for your help.

Jiggz

Captain
On the very top of the forum, there is a "sticky post" about carb and timing tutorial. Additionally, you can also search you tube to see how this is done.

djockey21

Cadet
How did you test your switch box. The samething happened to my force 120hp. I was on the lake and turned engine off all of sudden when I tried to crank it wouldn't crank . I have replaced the power pack, the rectifier and I just ordered a new stator.

waterboy84

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Djockey. Using a multimeter test the voltage output coming out of the switchbox to the coilpacks. If you dont get any voltage out of the switchbox from the wires connecting to coilpacks you switchbox is bad. However you need to be for certain your stator your trigger and everything else is good.

djockey21

Cadet
I just checked. I don't really have a switch box or what seems to be a switchbox. So I don't think that is it. I don't get an voltage using omh on my Volt meter on the yellow wires on my stator

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
outboardignitiondotcom has the test procedures for your motor.
​You need an analog meter to test correctly.
What motor? What ignition?
You check the kill switch.
My neighbor just got a new (used) boat.
Asked me to look at it. Wouldn't start.
He claims it's a great starting boat and always started.
Kill switch was off. He had no idea it had a kill switch.