Battery Voltage

Lawns570

Seaman Apprentice
Ok.. I'll check the DC voltage again tonight coming off the rect/reg tonight. Red to the redwire. black probe to the ground. I'll also listen for surges in the motor, which I didn't seem to hear last time. I'll double check the wire is good coming off the rect/reg.

It seems no matter where I was testing the voltage was bouncing all over the place.. leads me to believe it is the Stator, but thats why I am here for others opinions.

Jiggz

Captain
As I have mentioned, even if the stator is faulty, you should never read voltage lower than you battery voltage considering all wires are correctly connected. Make sure you try reading off the reg/rect output terminal first with the engine off and you should at least read the battery voltage. There could be a miniscule difference between this reading and a direct reading from the battery terminals itself,due to wire and connection resistance but very little if any. Then read again with the motor running. Post your readings.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm with the rest on this one. A battery has lots of capacity, therefore it shouldn't bounce around with the voltage.

When checking voltage at a connector, check 3 places. The terminal, lug, and wire separately. There could be resistance between any of those. If the connections are good there should be very little voltage fluctuation in the readings. 12.8 to 14.5 depending upon whether the engine is running or not.

High frequency voltages could float around on wires but you shouldn't see any of those with your instruments. In this case, a low impedance voltmeter would be the best or measure the voltage across an appropriate resistance in parallel.