Stator issue - force 150

3400beretta

Recruit
Hey all,

I did a bunch of reading and I couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I have the original stator in my 90 force 150, and one of the 3 high voltage sections has gone bad. My questions is this... Is there any reason I can't just tie two CDI inputs together on a single stator wire? (like the replacement from CDI?) I've tried it, and it seems to work fine. I have 250+ volts on all my stator outputs with my DVA meter. I'm just concerned about timing, perhaps its not charging the CDI box at the correct time, or soon enough for it to fire properly?

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

tommarvin

Ensign
1. You can diagnose better that me and, I would do it right and order another stator from CDI, $350.00 ouch

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I would try to contact CDI ignition or outboardignitiondotcom and ask them.
They are usually pretty good about answering these type of questions.
But, if you talk to the girl on the service desk at OI she's not that good.
If you buy used? it's way cheaper.
E-bay and Paypal is the best place to buy as they back up the buyer 100%
If the part you buy is bad you get the money and shipping back.

Remember you need a 20pole stator and I think the 50/85/90/120/125/150 all will work.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I've seen that done on a couple of Force 4 cylinder Prestolite ignition system motors where two CD Modules were attached to the only good stator winding and have been running like that for a number of years. Like you experienced, it seemed to work fine, although I would think that the spark may not be quite as strong. Couldn't tell by looking at the spark with a spark checker though. I would suspect that eventually the remaining winding would eventually fail due to the added load. I guess it's your call if you want to keep it like that or not. If one winding failed, I would be concerned that the other windings may be more prone to failure. If you run it hooked up like you have it now, you might want to start looking for another stator at a reasonable price. If it were me, I'd replace it, but that's just me. The system was not designed to drive more than 1 CD Module per winding.

3400beretta

Recruit
Thanks for the replies guys. It definitely isn't pulling down the voltage so I'm not too worried about the extra strain on the coil. I was more worried about the timing but it seems fine. Gonna stick it in the water and see how it runs this week.