1973 Chrysler 6HP

spy1309

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello guys
I just got a 1973 Chrysler 6HP outboard and have a few questions for you more experienced guys.......just to pick up some things before I screw something up, I want to mention I read posts on the forum and picked a few things up.
Now first my motor says 7 HP on the cover but on the inside label it says 6HP and Model 62BE canadian engine....so if it is a 6HP why cover says 7HP ?
Now I read from the forum the oil ratio is 50:1 TCW3...it is correct? and also what gas octane to use? 87/89 or 92?
I have a bit of an issue with the fuel connector, can t find one, the owner said is similar with the Suzuki one, I went to BasPro shop and they did not have any.
Do you guys have any tips or things to watch out for? The engine was started the last time 2 months ago by the owner .
Are they good motors? I want to put it on a 12 foot jon boat fiberglass.....I hope that is enough power to push 2 adults and one kid ......~420 pounds

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The covers could have been changed????
.​ANY!!! regular gas will work.
Just keep the tank full when the motors not in use.
Or use a stabilizer.

What fuel connector?On the motor or the tank???
Fitting on the motor,F197767-1 $20
F197787-2 $25 fitting on the hose.

A 6 hp won't get you going fast enough to ski but will get you there and back.

Check the gear oil and install a new impeller.

Pics?

spy1309

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for reply I will post pics shortly, also I don't plan to water ski at all :) just to go fishing on small/medium lakes with my son and my wife.

Last edited:

spy1309

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I was asking about what gas given the fact that the 87 octane has 10% ethanol and I don t want to ruin anything, I read that alot of guys add some sea foam and marine Stabil, other than that any other things to watch out for?
Also I got a 25 liter ( 6.6 gal ) gas tank, I have no ideea how much gas the 6HP eats but I hope to be or 6-8 hours , of course not at WOT all the time

Attachments

• photo241794.JPG
    photo241794.JPG
    347.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo241795.JPG
    photo241795.JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo241796.jpg
    photo241796.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 0

tommarvin

Ensign
Yes, you should use the lowest octane 87 octane.It will be E-10, 10% ethanol if you buy it at a gas station.
2. If you want clear fuel with no ethanol you have to google and find it, gas docks at marinas have it but it's .80 cents a gallon more here.We only use E-10 , 87 octane, or the lowest octane you can get it's fine.and it cleans very well.
3. You don't need sea foam, you only add the marine stable to the tank, at the end of boating season, gas.for over winter.
4. You put a gallon in the tank, add your two stroke oil 50-1, shake well, fill the tank.
5. I-boats.com has the connector.
6. Clean the carb, change the LU gear oil and screw gaskets, water pump impeller,
7. You should get a factory service manual if your going to work on your motor.

Nordin

Commander
About the cover and Hp rate that is a 6Hp if the idtag says 62BE. In 1968 these engine was rated 6,6Hp and in 1969 and 1970 it was rated 7Hp.
1971 it became 6Hp.
The engine is from 1974 (62BE should be a Barrie build 6Hp from 1974) I beleave and the cover is from a 7Hp 1969 or 1970.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That part # I gave you is the part for the cowl.They should be replaces together.
​You never know what part is bad??
​IF??? you use the motor enough you don't need additives.
6gal should last quite a while as long as you take it easy.

Last edited:

spy1309

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok got it guys, than you for your inputs...I try to get into boating in small steps....I worked on car and motorcycle engines....not to much knowledge with 2 cycles ....but 10 years ago when I tried to fix a 1960 40hp Johnson.....big disappointment back then.

tommarvin

Ensign
spy1309 you got this, a factory service manual is the best thing you can do.
I'm sure you have more mechanic experience than most people here.

spy1309

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a bit of a problem the markings on the throttle lever are gone I can t see the slow, off and the rest of the markings.....I have no idea how to guess...to add to the injury the lever has to be pushed in to connect and I have no idea on what setting has to be pushed in
Can someone tell me the positions please I guess thy are fast, slow, start, reverse ....reverse going opposite of the rest?

Last edited:

tommarvin

Ensign
You could do a Google search for the markings, E-bay or Craigs list may have a throttle lever,

spy1309

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wouldn t bother you guys before I do research....I went thru alot of posts, google searches, ebay posts....most had the markings gone like mine or the pics were really bad.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
New lever?
​Maybe try Valley Sales in Prudenville, Michigan.
He might have an old handle with the letters still readable.
Most hard parts were discontinued within a few years of manufacture.

spy1309

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys come on throw a perfectly working part just because markings were worn?.....I guess is hard for people with motors like mine Chrysler 6hp, 6.6hp. 7hp, 9.9hp to snap a picture and post it here.

tommarvin

Ensign
Do a google search for your motor and look at the page with all the pictures of your motor on it, there will be at least 100 pictures or more?

realsquirrels

Recruit
Guys come on throw a perfectly working part just because markings were worn?.....I guess is hard for people with motors like mine Chrysler 6hp, 6.6hp. 7hp, 9.9hp to snap a picture and post it here.

Sorry, I'm a little late to the party. I have a 77 6hp, I'm pretty sure the markings are the same. I took a pic for you but I can't seem to get it to upload, maybe because I'm new. It keeps say "invalid file data".

Anyway I'll describe it for you. If you start with the lever turned fully clockwise you are on "slow". Move one notch counter-clockwise and you're at "shift". Next notch counter-clockwise is "start". And lastly, fully counter-clockwise is "fast".

Hope that helps. If anyone can give me an idea what I might be doing wrong trying to upload photos I can try again.