Changed my stator and now idle is 2500 RPM? What did I screw up?

fmt2bx

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I just did that since Ive ran out of things to do today.. All 3 were at about 128/130.

was kinda to find a dead one... at least i would know what it is!

Guess I will tear the carbs apart tomorrow... I took a spray bottle and shot some fuel in the carbs while it was running WOT tied off to thedock and nothing changed.

Dont have a tach but seems like Im only running anout 2800 to3000 rpms..

Maybe I will put one of those on too.... great way to spend my vacation... So much more fun than catching walleye!

salmonslammer. Sorry to hear that it isn't perfect yet but this is good progress. After finding out about transposing the 2 terminals, I imagine you checked the rest of the electronic connections all the way to the spark plugs.

Do you have a clear fuel filter between pump and carb?

That would give you an idea if fuel is flowing properly.

At WOT can you see the carbs moving all the way?

Attachments

• photo240877.jpg
    photo240877.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Tied to a dock and (you think) your doing 3000 rpm's?
​You don't need to clean the carbs.
If the high speed jets were dirty you wouldn't get much over an idle.

You can spray gas into it while it's running and really shouldn't get much response, it uses only what it needs.

Tied to the dock your not gonna get the full rpm's. The motors trying to pull the dock and the ground it's tied to.
Moving in the water will allow it to get up to the full RPM.S

While it's running, does it rev up and not move or just gets to 3000?
If it revs up then the prop is slipping.

Your 3000 might be more hook up the tach.

Start it up, then pull one spark plug lead at a time.
Post the results.

salmonslammer

Seaman
You'll be Walleye fishing in no time. Is your walleye called a walleye Pike?

No... we just call them walleye in MI. The Detroit river gets a huge run this time of year coming up from Lake Erie.

Jerry.... The 3K was on the open water, not tied off to the dock. I don't believe that the prop is slipping. Had that happen on a merc once so I've experienced that! Seems to just get to the 3k rpm and that's it... No surging or hesitation getting to the 3k, just nothing after that.

I replaced EVERYTHING in the fuel delivery system and rebuilt the carbs 2 years ago.... also added the external fuel filter.

I will add the tach today and pull the plug leads and see what happens....

Last edited:

salmonslammer

Seaman
salmonslammer. Sorry to hear that it isn't perfect yet but this is good progress. After finding out about transposing the 2 terminals, I imagine you checked the rest of the electronic connections all the way to the spark plugs.

Do you have a clear fuel filter between pump and carb?

That would give you an idea if fuel is flowing properly.

At WOT can you see the carbs moving all the way?

Yes.... I went through and triple checked the wiring on the terminal strip.

Has an external fuel filter that I added 2 years ago....

At WOT ( checked at the docks with the engine off) all 3 carbs are sync'd and the butterflies are horizontal....

fmt2bx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes.... I went through and triple checked the wiring on the terminal strip.

Has an external fuel filter that I added 2 years ago....

At WOT ( checked at the docks with the engine off) all 3 carbs are sync'd and the butterflies are horizontal....

K thanks.

Is your fuel filter between the fuel pump and carb?

When we got our motor a year ago, I had tons of annoying issues, some day was idle some other was at WOT. Turn out after I followed the instructions of the posters here (added clear fuel filter) that I was able to find the source of the problem. It was coming from my worn out quick disconnect fuel line.

The good news is that your compression is good so it's just a matter of troubleshooting now.

Cheers

Last edited:

salmonslammer

Seaman
I had a similar problem with my disconnect too... took that out and bypassed it. The fuel filter is between the pump and the carbs.

Tried six different Marine stores today, nobody has a tach in stock for that motor. Going to be a few days to get one shipped.

Going to swap out that other cdi today... figure its the only thing left that I havent tried.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Do the linc and sink that FrankA posted at the top of the forum.
​Maybe the linkage isn't operating correctly??? and your not getting full throttle.
Have someone turn the prop as you put it in F then push the throttle all the way and see what the linkage and throttle arm looks like??PICS??

salmonslammer

Seaman
I did that yesterday.... Took a look at #1 and 2 and they were both horizontal while I was running WOT on the lake today. Only could assume #3 was too.. Know it is when I'm sitting at the dock.

Changed out the fuel filter today... just cause I figured it couldn't hurt anything. Bumped the speed up a tick. Saw 15 on the gps at one point.

Pulled the #1 wire.... pronounced drop in rpms.
#2 wire..... NO change in rpms. ?????
#3 wire..... motor stalled.

I ran out of time today to swap the CDI around... Going to do that tomorrow. Thing has me totally baffled. Going to go down before daylight and run it to see if I can see anything arcing.

About ready to make an anchor out of this thing!

Nordin

Commander
I have not read through the whole thread so I do not know if you check that all cyl. are firing.
Seems #2 not firing. Check for spark with a timing light.
Does the #2 plug get wet or is it dry?

A bad crankcase seal at #2 would not cause this issue. I have never seen an 3 cyl. Chrysler/Force with bad seals at #2 and with operation issue.
The seals at #2 on the crank is typical and similar to a piston ring and they almost never break during operation but can break during assembling.

1. Check for spark at #2. If it sparks, does the plug get wet?
2. If it not get wet then check the reeds .
3. If no spark then troubleshoot the ignitonsystem by following the guide from CDI or Outboardignition.

salmonslammer

Seaman
Oh its got spark on the #2 ... Got me pretty good when I pulled the plug wire off while it was running. Towel I was using slipped.

To recap....so far...

I replaced my stator...which was the original problem..2 real bolts sheared off.

Checked compression.... 128-130.
Checked timing....good.
Checked stator and trigger resistance... both good.
Linked n sync'd the carbs... all functioning as they should.
Swapped the #1 CDI and the #2 coil ( had a no spark condition on #2)
Swapped the fuel filter today.

Top speed of 15mph... (should be about 27-30) No top end. Only seems to be around 3k rpm.

Going to swap the other CDI tomorrow (if its not raining!) and probably pull the carbs to take a peek at the reed valves.

tommarvin

Ensign
Check every inch of wire, make sure nothing is grounded out., pull all wires very hard that go into connectors
Check all ground wires, for loose, broken, corroded off.
Check the spark plug wires, going to a Lisle 50850 spark checker.
Maybe stop swapping coils and cdi packs, stator, trigger, and test everything individually.
Replace all fuel filters.
Thread lock/ locktight threads on stator bolts..

salmonslammer

Seaman
Check every inch of wire, make sure nothing is grounded out., pull all wires very hard that go into connectors
Check all ground wires, for loose, broken, corroded off.
Check the spark plug wires, going to a Lisle 50850 spark checker.
Maybe stop swapping coils and cdi packs, stator, trigger, and test everything individually.
Replace all fuel filters.
Thread lock/ locktight threads on stator bolts..

Dragged my butt down in the darkness this morning ao I could run it in the dark to see if anything was arcing.. couldnt see anything obvious.

Only thing different today was when I first throtttled upthe motor stalled out. Fired right back up... and then did it again. 3rd time it was fine..

This has me wondering if its not a fuel starvation problem...

Moved the throttle cable back cliset to its original position.. No change so I put it back with the 1/4" preload.

Last edited:

salmonslammer

Seaman
Tried to upload some pics of the linkage... Get an error message saying the file exceeds 2mb.

Got weather moving in so not much Im going to do with it today anyways.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
You can check for possible fuel starvation issue by simply squeezing the primer bulb while at WOT. If WOT RPM's increase, then you might have a bad fuel pump diaphragm.

If you have a clear in-line fuel filter, it should stay at least about 3/4 full with no bubbles. You might see some bubbles when you first start it up, but once under way, you shouldn't see any bubbles.

salmonslammer

Seaman
Well.....heres an update on my nemesis.

Had our marina's fishing tourney this weekend... about 50 boats milling around in the river waiting for the shotgun start. Horn sounds and everyone busts out of the hole in a 360 degree spread. Except for us... We stall out. And won't restart. Throw a few choice words at it, and fire up the kicker.

Pulled the spark plugs for a couple of drifts (and even got some fish!) and if fired right back up. Figured it was idling too long and flooded out.
Once it fired... we were back to my 12 mph puttzing speed.

After a couple miles... something "catches" and were at WOT and 29mph! Woo Hoo! Drive the boat about 4 miles and its running fine! Excellent! Figure we will hit the gas dock and run downriver 15 miles or so. Throw the petro in...idle back out to the river... hit the throttle... and were back to the same 12mph condition!

So now I'm PO'd... think its a fuel problem, so we yank the carbs off ( during fishing time!) Found a couple floats out of wack, but nothing else. Checked the reed valves while I could see em... all good. Put it back together and deal with it (again!) for the day.

Yesterday... I went down and started all over with the diagnostic. Find out I have no spark on #2 cylinder (again). Swap the coil pack out and bingo... We have spark again! Take it out for a spin and it runs fine! Weird stuff.

My question that I have now is.... What is causing me to blow that #2 coil? Its the second one. Bad rectifier?

At least I'm making progress! Thanks again for all the help. I've sure learned more about this motor than I ever thought I would need to!

tommarvin

Ensign
Where did you buy the coils, I have read on here a few times never buy coils on e-bay, only buy coils from cdielectronics.com
One guy said he blew up a e-bay coil the first day he used it too.
You found a couple floats out of wack that's scary, Do you know how to adjust the floats on your carbs, for some reason it's harder than it looks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Glad it's running good!!
In the old days buying electronics from E-bay was risky.
Now E-bay protects the buyer.
The got back $550 from a company that said if I opened the box the part wasn't returnable.
E-bay and Paypal are good to work with.

In 35 years I have only seen 1 bad coil.

I bought a stator for 125$ Brand new CDI unit e-bay.
CDI wanted $300.
Shop around.