Pivot pin for lower unit

92cobra

Seaman Apprentice
Well I guess then it will be going to someone who has more experience with these. That's out of my comfort zone pulling the prop.

tommarvin

Ensign
I have read here you can do this from the top, If you turn the lower unit upside down can you get the yoke to fall out,drain the gear lube shine a light down in the LU can you see the yoke part to get it out.
You got this, theres no hurry keep trying every day, get a magnet on a stick, HF has very long needle nose plyers and lots of other tools that might work too

92cobra

Seaman Apprentice
I cannot see the yoke...but there's still a little fluid in the gearcase....I'm going to keep trying but I'll be busy here the next few days next week with school then going fishing on a buddies boat the following weekend.lol. I really do appreciate everyone's help thus far. I will keep trying

92cobra

Seaman Apprentice
Well I fooled with it for about ten minutes before work last night. I didn't see the yoke. I couldn't hear it moving either, but that could be due to fluid still in there. I don't even see how it will fall out with the shift rod connected?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
With the shift rod pivot pin removed, it's very possible that the shift yoke may have fallen off.

If you pull up on the shift rod, or move the throttle in a manner that moves the shift rod up, if the pivot pin is removed it's possible that the shift fork may have moved upwards to the point where it disengages from the two pins on each side of the yoke. If this happens, the yoke can rotate 180? and fall off the shift pin.

The shift yoke is kind of horseshoe shaped (see pictures in attached link in post #36 above). If the opening is pointed down, and the shift fork is engaged (which prevents if from spinning around), it will stay on the shift pin. If the opening is pointed up, it will fall off the shift pin even if the shift fork is engaged with the pins.

92cobra

Seaman Apprentice
I'm not sure May be the shift yoke is still attached the the shift rod and just not seated properly?

92cobra

Seaman Apprentice
I fooled with it again this morning. I couldn't feel anything sitting in the case with a wire hanger......tried moving the unit back and forth couldn't see or hear anything moving around....I'm at a loss on what to do next besides pulling the prop.

92cobra

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I have the prop and shaft out....now I'm trying to find the special tool for the pinion shaft retaining ring? Any ideas on homemade ?

92cobra

Seaman Apprentice
Well got it all back together...I think it's working properly...I greased the steering and bracket on the motor.one of the zerks was loose and came out so I'll have to replace it.

92cobra

Seaman Apprentice
Question when I'm in reverse the prop should spin to the right ? If I go to the left it clicks? Does that sound right.