1996 Bass Tracker Pro16 (Force 40) Ignition switch wiring???

pclick

Cadet
I'm trying to install an aftermarket ignition switch. Having trouble identifying the wires from original and applying them to the correct position on the new one. I've also been looking for a manual for this boat/Motor (1996 Bass Tracker Pro16 w/Force 40HP). I've attached pics of the old & the new switch (The old one is the red one). The new one has Lettering, (S,A,M,B,C,I,M) & the old one has nothing but colored wires. Any help is greatly appreciated!................................................................................................... IMG_3526.jpg IMG_3521.jpg IMG_3525.jpg IMG_3524.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3521.jpg
    IMG_3521.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

tommarvin

Ensign
You need a factory service manual, and I know where to get,for a fair price.
Check your private messages.

pclick

Cadet
Thanks Tom, I appreciate that. It turns out that I did have it wired correctly. I was just having issues with the neutral cut off, Etc. So, I bypassed the neutral cut off altogether and everything works perfectly. (I just always have to remember to make sure it's in neutral before I start it).

gm280

Supreme Mariner
pclick, If you were to remove the potting compound or epoxy from the old switch, you may find out that the old switch does have markings as well. I would certainly fix the neutral safety setup because anybody that doesn't know about it not work could get hurt or hurt somebody else one day. Not a good idea to ever circumvent safety features. JMHO!

tommarvin

Ensign
Wow, we just flattened out our neutral interlock switch hinged contact point today because of slop in old Morse controls and other things,
Please don't bypass the neutral cutoff switch, it's way to dangerous man, we made a jumper to bypass NIS only when we need to on the water to start the motor,
It works great now that I bent it flatter.