Power pack question..

Screamnreels

Cadet
Does this sound like the power pack is going out? Boat fires up runs great, run for,say, 20 minutes or so and cuts off. Will not fire back up but after and little time it will fire up but will not run when but in drive. Then after a little more time it will run like nothing is wrong until it cuts off again. I can go out side now and it will fire up, no problem. Had some say power pack may get hot then not have good contact until it cools. Compression good, plugs etc. Thanks again.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Kind of hard to say without knowing what horsepower engine or what year.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Maybe??? The exhaust is leaking into the hood and killing the motor.
​Remove cover, go for a ride.

Screamnreels

Cadet
Motor is 1995 force 40 hp. Forgot to mention that. Have run with hood off and still cuts off.

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Have you tested to see if you're loosing spark?

You could go out and spend $200+ for a Switch Box and hope it fixes the problem based on what it sounds like, then find out that it's not the cause and have to spend another $200+ to replace the stator. There are several tests that you can do to narrow it down some.

Do you have a multi meter to take some voltage and resistance measurements?

Forgot to mention to make sure the vent on your gas tank is open too.

Last edited:

Screamnreels

Cadet
Checked and spark is good from plugs, checked with light off in shop to see and it felt very strong to! Haha.
Have a meter. If don't mind, what test? Continuity in plugs etc?
I have run it with tank cap on tight, lose and even off.
This motor I picked up and installed on a skiff, new plugs,fuel pump,carb clean and new lines. Thanks for the help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
outboard ignition dot com and cdi electronics both have test procedures for the electronics.
Try another fuel tank??