1979 force 50 hp tune up

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi,I have a 79 boat and motor on a 14.5 foot bayliner.What is there to a tune up? It started running sluggish over the summer..Someone said it dont have points,and another says it does...If it does,that sure seems to fit hte prtoblem of getting slower..Everything else has been done.plugs,wires,compression,gas hoses exc.. If it does have points,I must have to putt the flywheel off hu? Thanks,
scotty

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What you need to do: Plugs, gear oil, filters, grease zerks, grease prop shaft, lube linkage.
​The timing usually doesn't need adjusting unless the linkage has been moved or the triggers been replaced.

Do a compression test.
Since it's new to you I'd do a de-carb.
Maybe check the fuel in the tank? Ethanol is a pain in anything that's been setting.

If it starts and runs? I'd mix 1/2 gal. gas and a fuel additive from Chevron(about 12oz.). Called Techron by Chevron.
Add a few ounces of TCW-3 oil and run it through the fuel system.
It really helps clean out the system.

Check the hoses for soft, mushy or delamination. Get ethanol use hoses.

Install a filter(G-2, G-3, G-12) between the pump and the carbs.
I have a water separating filter at the tank. (just changed it and found some rust(from ethanol)and some water.

The grease fittings: they are pressed in and can pop out if not fllled properly.
The grease has been in there for 25+ years and it gets hard.
I use a small propane torch and heat up the mid section and then add grease.
The bushings at the top and bottom of the kingpin can melt so not too much heat there.
If the fittings pop out you can drill and tap for fittings.

Last edited:

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey,thanks for all the info :) I did a compression test,and it is ok..I will do the rest as well.
So there is no points to replace correct?
Thanx,
Scotty

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I deleted the pics,so dont have any more :(

Attachments

• photo238076.jpg
    photo238076.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 0

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well still got me stumped lol.. Comp and all have been done..I just got it out,and it started right away in the driveway..Put it in the lake,and barely started..I put a matchbox in the idle,to boost it up a little..I will set the screw later to put it at higher idle.. So it doesnt run real good,but got it running.. Did a decarb as well..Funny it runs in driveway,but in lake no..wow ha.. One funny thing is i tilted it out of the water,and got it going,and lowered it in gear to get going...so kinda starts when its up and out of the water..I use that to get it going...then i lower it,and go... but why would it start when its tilted up? This ones really got me baffled since it started in the driveway..Any help appreciated..

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The tilting and starting usually means the float is off.
​One of my motors wouldn't start no matter what I did to it.
Got flustered and tilted it up to use just one motor(not going far) was trying to start the other motor and hit the wrong key and it started while tilted up.
It eventually started working right but it was a while and I had to tilt it for a long time.

What's the rpm's in the water and in gear?

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
The tilting and starting usually means the float is off.
​One of my motors wouldn't start no matter what I did to it.
Got flustered and tilted it up to use just one motor(not going far) was trying to start the other motor and hit the wrong key and it started while tilted up.
It eventually started working right but it was a while and I had to tilt it for a long time.

What's the rpm's in the water and in gear?

Interesting.Wonder how long i have to wait..Mabe tapping on it would help?Or is there a fluid i can run through it? i used seafoam decarb..Shot some blue,but seemed to work in the driveway...Not sure what the rpm was,but i had the mufs on it,and it was running full open ok it seemed..In the water,i got it running,lowered the tilt,and took off,but it wouldnt go fast like it use to do..Thanks for your imput.

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
I already took plug out and turned over with a friend..seems good spark.Also comporession checker said it was only like 6-7 lbs difference...So thats acceptable right?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
6-7 lbs difference is fine.....as long as the reading was in the 100-125 psi or higher range.

tommarvin

Ensign
Sounds like the high speed jet(s) could be partially plugged.
You can remove, and clean a carb fast. It's the only way to be sure, sea-foam is not for sure.,but it's easy,fast and it feels good .

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like the high speed jet(s) could be partially plugged.
You can remove, and clean a carb fast. It's the only way to be sure, sea-foam is not for sure.,but it's easy,fast and it feels good .

Ok thanks.Not sure how hard it will be to taqke out.Hopefully not too bad lol.Its small enough that it should be ok to do.At least i didnt get stuck when i went out yesterday lol.Raised it up,started it,and lowered it.A good way to get wet ha...
So i can look at the float,and jets...
How does a float get stuck?

tommarvin

Ensign
1. You -tube explains carb cleaning very well, watch as many videos as it takes until you feel comfortable taking carb apart,.
2. floats can get stuck from old gas gets gummed varnished up, corroded , floats can start leaking, etc...
3. I'm guessing it's your jets are partially clogged.
4. Do it when you have time and not in a hurry.

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
1. You -tube explains carb cleaning very well, watch as many videos as it takes until you feel comfortable taking carb apart,.
2. floats can get stuck from old gas gets gummed varnished up, corroded , floats can start leaking, etc...
3. I'm guessing it's your jets are partially clogged.
4. Do it when you have time and not in a hurry.

Oh ok,thanks :)
I'll look up some utube cleaning,and go from there.Im guessing its like jell,and the float hits it on the sides..if its not got a hole in it..
The jets are like needles right?With a hole in them?From what i remember a long time ago..So mabe debree in the jets...
Ya,will definately take my time :)

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took it apart.Float seems even,and ok.Jet wasnt clogged either.Guess all i can hope for is there might of been some water in the carb..I guess a tad bit of water would be like a stuck float,since it seemed to start when i tilted up the motor..Even though it still didnt run good when i lowered it in gear to get moving...
Hoping it was water i guess now lol... I will try to get it back on over the weekend and will see what it does :)
Scotty