85hp outboard force motor tune up

Jimbo82

Cadet
I'm new to boating this is my 1st boat.1989 bayliner 1700 bowrider.How Do I go by doing a tune up on the motor.I know spark plugs and fuel filter what else should I replace ...thanks

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Correct plugs are NGK BUHX. Mix 2-stroke oil in gas 50:1 = 1 quart for 12 gallons of gas. Definitely change water impeller (on top of lower unit). http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi.../237589-step-by-step-impeller-change?t=231685

Also changing lower unit oil is a good idea. (watch out for the small screw on the side of the lower unit - don't remove it) there are 2 flat head screws at the top about the size of a dime and one allen screw on the bottom that is the drain)
force lower.PNG

then take it for a run - should hit 5000-5500 rpm at full throttle. if it runs good I would leave the rest alone - if you have running issues check out this link: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ler-outboards/616464-carb-and-timing-tutorial

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What you need to do: Plugs, gear oil, filters, grease zerks, grease prop shaft, lube linkage.
​The timing usually doesn't need adjusting unless the linkage has been moved or the triggers been replaced.

Do a compression test.
Since it's new to you I'd do a de-carb.
Maybe check the fuel in the tank? Ethanol is a pain in anything that's been setting.

If it starts and runs? I'd mix 1/2 gal. gas and a fuel additive from Chevron(about 12oz.). Called Techron by Chevron.
Add a few ounces of TCW-3 oil and run it through the fuel system.
It really helps clean out the system.

Check the hoses for soft, mushy or delamination. Get ethanol use hoses.

Install a filter(G-2, G-3, G-12) between the pump and the carbs.
I have a water separating filter at the tank. (just changed it and found some rust(from ethanol)and some water.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The grease fittings: they are pressed in and can pop out if not fllled properly.
The grease has been in there for 25+ years and it gets hard.
I use a small propane torch and heat up the mid section and then add grease.
The bushings at the top and bottom of the kingpin can melt so not too much heat there.
If the fittings pop out you can drill and tap for fittings.