how tight should these spots be on the steering

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
I'm going to remove and clean my steering cable when I pull my boat out and wondered how tight these 2 spots should be - i think there is a spring on the steering end between nut and end. Sorry the picture is a little dim.

IMG_2823.jpg

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
They should not be tight to where they are hard to move. They should be pretty free so they don't bind up. The nut on the end with the spring should be a nyloc nut so it won't loosen with vibration.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The one going into the cowling should be tight, with maybe 10-15# of torque.
​The other on and tightened to about 1/4 to 3/8 space on the nut and spring.
You won't need to remove the top one.
Northern Supply has extra long tube brushes.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks - that's exactly what I needed to know for the end with the spring :) As for the end going into the cowling. I will check the torque on that nut. I guess I wondered about the small dish on the bottom of that connection... It has a Philips screw on it. Should that be pretty tight? Last year I noticed it was very loose an i tighten it up some and it seemed to help a little with steering play. Should I crank it down?

Thanks for the tip on the brush. I have the original steering and it hasn't been cleaned in the 4 years i have owned the boat. Teleflex recently told me to do it every year. I have 2-3" of play and hoping this will help. If not I might change to NFB steering kit.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]@wickware, i think your picture or attachment didn't come through. [/FONT]

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That little "dish" the screw needs to be tight.
​2-3inches of play???
Where's the play?
The steering wheel? or at the motor?

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i feel it in the steering - i think my cable is probably worn out some - but then again Teleflex tells me that 2" is normal even in a new rotary helm.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Look under the dash and see if the rack is loose.
​4 bolts hold it together.
Where the cable attaches to the motor is a BIG nut. Maybe it's loose?

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i know the steering is rotary and everything is tight in the helm - I'll know more when I pull the boat out in a month or so. Thanks for all the help you guys give !