Force 15 1980s wont run

ngazhunter

Recruit
I have a force 15 that I put new head gaskets on got it running and it stalled on me couldn't get it started again. Took it into a shop they told me they had it running beautiful i could never get the engine to start. I took the engine to a shop that I normally use they told me they can't figure out why it will not run they say it has good spark compression and fuel they also said the timing of the fuel and spark are good. They told me they are kind of stumped was wondering if anybody had any ideas.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
As a "hail Mary" change the spark plugs. Some plugs, even good looking ones will fire in open air but simply will not spark under compression. It is rare, but does happen.

Try removing the plugs and squirting about a teaspoon of premix furl into each cylinder. Then replace the plugs and try to fire it If it eventually clears the flooded condition and runs for a couple of seconds, then remove the carb and check the reeds.

If you replaced the head gasket because of overheating damage then it is possible that the piston skirts are worn and the base compression is lacking. This is difficult to check but if the fuel pump is not delivering a steady, good supply of fuel, then this may be the proble,

tommarvin

Ensign
First tear the carb(s) apart. Remove every part spray every opening with cleaner, blow air through all openings. Get a rebuild kit at iboats.com

Free factory service manuals at www boatinfo.no/lib/library.html. Force is the other tab at the bottom "We don't get no respect" click force, find your motor find your car rebuild page. With the carb rebuild page in front of you, carefully follow each step and put it back together.Don't forget to adjust the float.

This is also a classic ignition part failing, random weird starting problems, it will finally break completely then it's easy to find the problem.

A ground wire came off or is lose, or a wire is grounded out. Give every wire a tug, especially when they go into connectors they love to break inside .

Like Frank said, Can you take the fuel line off after the fuel pump and see if it pumps steady fuel or,Just rebuild the fuel pump, iboats.com probably has the rebuild kit.

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Check the flywheel key, can be shared. You would have spark, but at wrong time.
Does the plugs get wet? If not, the crank seal lower could be bad. Also check the reeds.

As Frank says, check compression, should be 95-110 PSI.