Swaping johnson to force motor

Mbernecker

Cadet
So I have a 89 maxum with a 85hp force on it but had a rough interior and the floor is getting pretty bad I found a sunbird corsair 150 with a blown johnson 48hp I want to put my force on this any help would be great will the steering lincage hook right up? And how about the wiring and throttle? Please help

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You need to move the motor controls with the motor. What is the sunbird rated for.

Mbernecker

Cadet
The boat is only rated for a 70 but I live on a private lake so I do not plan on insuring it or registering

Mbernecker

Cadet
But I consider myself somewhat mechanical inclined not a master mechanic or anything but I do almost anything to my car is this goin to be very hard is it worth it to do?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Steering is standard on all the big ouitboards so what is in the boat will attach directly to the Force. HOWEVER You MUST use the control box, control cables, and wiring cable for the Force. Allow a couple of hours, depending upon how tight the hull is. If the Maxum is longer than the corsair, the control cables will be too long but this is a good thing Be certain that you have about a 2 foot loop in the splash well to avoid binding. And, of course, you can loop the wiring cable anywhere you want to take up the excess.

HINT: If possible remove the cables at the Johnson control box and attach them to the force cables. Then one at a time, pull them through to the Force engine. Since they will be making at least one turn, it does help to have an extra set of hands to guide them.

tommarvin

Ensign
Rebuild the Johnson 48HP ? Tear it apart and take it to a machine shop to bore and hone the bad cylinder?
Is the Force so big that it's dangerous?

Get another boat that fits the Force?
Sell the Force motor?

Mbernecker

Cadet
The 48 has a bad lower unit I was told I do not know how big of a deal that is to fix all the pats are there but it will not spin any know lage on that would be great will the 48 get someone up on skis and the force is a 85 the boat is rated for a 70 so I'm not too worried about it being dangerous

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Make sure the shaft lengths are the same.
​The 48 is probably a 20".
The Force could be a 20 or a 25"

The mounting holes probably won't align.
The bottom holes should be close.

Do yourself a big favor.
Just before mounting the 85
Put the steering cable in before you mount it.
Some of the smaller boats don't have enough room in there to put the cable in when the motors mounted.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Overpowering a boat is not a wise path.

Mbernecker

Cadet
Ok thanks for the help I may go a another route and fix the 48 I found a parts 1995 evinrude with a good lower unit for 200 so I want to throw it on mine does anyone know if the 95 evinrude will fit the 94 johnson with no problems?

Mbernecker

Cadet
new question I found a 97 105 evinrude I know the wires won't fit but there us an adapter for it but does anyone know if the throttle and gear control will fit?